2022-03-10 14:24:02

by Ben Greear

Subject: vrf and multicast problem

Hello,

We recently found a somewhat weird problem, and before I go digging into
the kernel source, I wanted to see if someone had an answer already...

I am binding (SO_BINDTODEVICE) a socket to an Ethernet port that is in a VRF with a second
interface. When I try to send mcast traffic out that eth port, nothing is
seen on the wire.

But, if I set up a similar situation with a single network port in
a vrf and send multicast, then it does appear to work as I expected.

I am not actually trying to do any mcast routing here, I simply want to send
out mcast frames from a port that resides inside a vrf.

Any idea what might be the issue?

Thanks,
Ben

--