2011-05-29 16:19:22

by mafeuser

Subject: AP mode - usb wlan interface: Sagem XG-76NA 802.11bg

Hallo group members.

I wonder if I can put it to AP (master mode) or in other words, does
AP/master mode have to be supported by hardware or is it only matter of
software(driver)?

best redards,
Paul

2011-05-30 21:09:52

by mafeuser

Walter Goldens <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Your device has ZyDAS zd1211b chip which is covered by the zd1211rw driver. Recently AP support has been implemented for this module. You'll likely need compa t-wireless to enable it on your system.
>
> Walter

Hallo Walter.

Thank YOu for the answer.

I didn't know about compat-wireless package, thus that's why I upgraded
by ubuntu 10.04 to ubuntu 11.04, then gotten newest kernel 2.6.39 week
ago.

then I did:
$ iw list
Wiphy phy0
Supported interface modes:
* IBSS
* managed
* AP !!!! YES, YES
* AP/VLAN
* monitor
* mesh point

BUT:(((((:

$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

I was a little bit disappointed, that's why I decided to ask You.

What am I doing wrong?

best regards,
Paul

2011-05-30 23:08:26

by Julian Calaby

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 07:09, <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hallo Walter.
>
> Thank YOu for the answer.
>
> I didn't know about compat-wireless package, thus that's why I upgraded
> by ubuntu 10.04 to ubuntu 11.04, then gotten newest kernel 2.6.39 week
> ago.
>
> then I did:
> $ iw list
> Wiphy phy0
> ? ? ? ?Supported interface modes:
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? * IBSS
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? * managed
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? * AP ? ? ? ? ? !!!! YES, YES
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? * AP/VLAN
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? * monitor
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? * mesh point
>
> BUT:(((((:
>
> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode master
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> ? ?SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
>
> I was a little bit disappointed, that's why I decided to ask You.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You can't set master mode with iwconfig. Access point mode needs a
program to run in userspace to handle some of the heavy lifting. You
need to read this FAQ entry:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/FAQ#Q:_iwconfig_wlan0_mode_master_does_not_work

Then look up hostapd

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd