2007-07-02 13:38:01

by Joerg

Subject: AW: [WIP] mac80211: kill mgmt interface

And, just from reading the documentation, it seems to be supported by M=
adWifi for Atheros
based devices:

http://madwifi.org/wiki/ngFeatures

and note the "To create APs which share a single MAC address, use the -=
bssid flag when
creating the VAPs:" remark.

Even if no current mac80211 driver supports this feature, the API must =
not prevent this in the future.

-- =20
Regards
Joerg

----- Urspr=FCngliche Mail ----
Von: "Cohen, Guy" <[email protected]>
An: Jiri Benc <[email protected]>; Joerg Pommnitz <[email protected]>
CC: [email protected]; Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolution=
s.net>
Gesendet: Sonntag, den 1. Juli 2007, 03:48:06 Uhr
Betreff: RE: [WIP] mac80211: kill mgmt interface

Jiri Benc wrote:
> > Can one run multiple MLME (e.g. hostapd) instances to run multiple
> virtual master mode interfaces
> > for different networks? With different BSSID?
>=20
> I don't think that would be ever possible when using monitor
> interfaces.
>=20
> On the other hand, it doesn't make much sense to support that. The
> interfaces are not completely independent, e.g. you cannot tune to
> different channels on different virtual interfaces. Therefore, at
least
> a minimal knowledge about virtual interfaces would be needed in more
> complicated user space MLMEs.

This is a required feature for Access Points (multiple BSSID).

__________________________________ BE A BETTER MEDIZINMANN: Jetz=
t Frage stellen und einen von 44 iPods gewinnen! http://www.yahoo.de/clever

2007-07-02 13:52:58

by Jiri Benc

Subject: Re: [WIP] mac80211: kill mgmt interface

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 06:38:00 -0700 (PDT), Joerg Pommnitz wrote:
> And, just from reading the documentation, it seems to be supported by MadWifi for Atheros
> based devices:
>
> http://madwifi.org/wiki/ngFeatures
>
> and note the "To create APs which share a single MAC address, use the -bssid flag when
> creating the VAPs:" remark.
>
> Even if no current mac80211 driver supports this feature, the API must not prevent this in the future.

What are you talking about? Have you actually looked at mac80211? This
is supported from day 0 of d80211.

Jiri

--
Jiri Benc