2017-09-17 14:25:10

by Charles Chambers

Subject: Wifi driver for RTL8191SU

I have a USB wifi adapter based on the subject chipset. Debian Linux
for its new release (9.x) incorporates version 4.9 of the kernel, which
does not work with the existing driver for this USB wifi adapter. The
driver for it (under Debian 8.x) shows as "r8712U". There's a movement
afoot to update the driver.

Any idea when an updated driver (or a wide beta restoring *some*
functionality) could be expected?

2017-09-17 16:05:49

by Xose Vazquez Perez

Subject: Re: Wifi driver for RTL8191SU

Charles Chambers wrote:

> I have a USB wifi adapter based on the subject chipset. Debian Linux
> for its new release (9.x) incorporates version 4.9 of the kernel, which
> does not work with the existing driver for this USB wifi adapter. The
> driver for it (under Debian 8.x) shows as "r8712U". There's a movement
> afoot to update the driver.
>
> Any idea when an updated driver (or a wide beta restoring *some*
> functionality) could be expected?

There are three drivers:

- r8712u from staging, crappy with no future in staging or drivers/net/wireless
- r92su or rtl8192su from https://github.com/chunkeey/rtl8192su

More info about Realtek at: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl819x