2008-12-30 01:38:12

by Ari Entlich

Subject: Help debugging unexpected disassociations?

Hey everyone. I'm using an Intel 4965AGN using the iwlagn driver in 2.6.28. When using a specific AP, my connection is unexpectedly dropping with nothing more than a "wlan0: deauthenticated". Any tips on how I could figure out whether this is the driver's fault or the AP's? Another problem I'm having is that dhcpcd is timing out a lot, usually after trying to reconnect from a connection drop.

The AP is a Linksys WRT54Gv1 with WPA2 and ssid broadcasting enabled.

Thanks!

Ari

2009-01-08 23:11:15

by Reinette Chatre

Subject: Re: Help debugging unexpected disassociations?

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 14:43 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> ---- [email protected] wrote:
> > Hey everyone. I'm using an Intel 4965AGN using the iwlagn
> > driver in 2.6.28. When using a specific AP, my connection is
> > unexpectedly dropping with nothing more than a
> > "wlan0: deauthenticated". Any tips on how I could figure out
> > whether this is the driver's fault or the AP's? Another problem I'm
> > having is that dhcpcd is timing out a lot, usually after trying to
> > reconnect from a connection drop.
> >
> > The AP is a Linksys WRT54Gv1 with WPA2 and ssid broadcasting enabled.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Ari
>
> Um... Bump?

This is very little information to go by. Does the log print a reason
code? Could you please provide some debug logs? Ensure driver is
compiled with debugging and load module with debug=0x43fff.

Reinette

2009-01-10 13:16:50

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 2:13 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:
<snipped>
>> Also, it is always useful to quote versions of relevant software -
>> what version of wpa_supplicant, and networkmanager you are using; or
>> even what distribution you are using, and hardware (64-bit, 32-bit).
>> You have written 3 times and added no new info.
>
> You need only ask. :)

That info should have been in your first post, or the 2nd...
And you still have not answered one: what distro - that alone would
have answered or at least hinted at most of the software versions,
etc. 'read my mind'... you are the person asking for help, why do you
expect others to *chase after you* for info? Most people won't bother.

> I am using wpa_supplicant 0.5.7. I am aware that this is a really old version,
> and I can try updating it if you think that would make a difference. I am running
> on a Thinkpad T61, which is 64-bit. I think I already said which chip I'm using,
> but I'll say it again. It's an IWL4965.

Now we are getting somewhere - and my first reply did ask you to run
wpa_supplicant in the foreground.
Even for the 0.5.x series, 0.5.10 is current... and most people are
using 0.6.x . wpa_supplicant (not the driver) is responsible for
encryption and authentication, and you had a deauthentication problem.
Hello, anybody home??!!

So, as you yourself suggested, you should update. And while you are at
it, read wpa_supplicant's doc, and work out the debug options and what
I meant by 'run it in the foreground'.

2009-01-09 21:08:59

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:18 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
> ---- Hin-Tak Leung <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Um... Bump?
>>
>> It is no use and quite annoying to do that - it sounds like "read my
>> mind and spoon-feed me". Your initial post has almost no useful
>> information to speak of (actual log entries, wpa_supplicant config,
>> whether using networkmanager or static config, etc).
>
> Um.
>
> Well considering as I'm not a developer and don't know how to debug
> these things, I think "spoon-feeding" is an appropriate term, no? And
> also, I didn't ask you to read my mind, I didn't even ask you to figure
> out the problem for me, I asked for the information that I would need
> to figure out the problem MYSELF.
>
> As for "useful information", the "wlan0: deauthenticated" is *LITERALLY*
> all I get. I was not lying to you. After stripping out identifying information,
> my wpa_supplicant config would be pretty much completely empty. The config
> for this AP is about as simple as a consumer WPA2 AP config can be. I am not
> using networkmanager.
>
>> You probably should try to run wpa_suplicant in the foreground.
>
> You mean so I can see the debug messages it outputs?

Even if you strip away privacy info (and put in xx.yy.zz) it is still
better than "read my mind and guess my problem".

For example, this is how my deauth looks like, when NetworkManager
cuts the connectiion, in preparation for
suspending to RAM:

wlan2: deauthenticating by local choice (reason=3)

Also, it is always useful to quote versions of relevant software -
what version of wpa_supplicant, and networkmanager you are using; or
even what distribution you are using, and hardware (64-bit, 32-bit).
You have written 3 times and added no new info.

2009-01-10 02:13:53

by Ari Entlich

> Even if you strip away privacy info (and put in xx.yy.zz) it is still
> better than "read my mind and guess my problem".

Again I REALLY think that I wasn't asking that. I'm sorry
you interpreted it that way.

The configuration for the AP I'm having trouble with looks basically
like this:

network={
ssid="MySSID"
psk="mypsk"
}

That's really it.

> For example, this is how my deauth looks like, when NetworkManager
> cuts the connectiion, in preparation for
> suspending to RAM:
>
> wlan2: deauthenticating by local choice (reason=3)

Yet again, I do not see this.

> Also, it is always useful to quote versions of relevant software -
> what version of wpa_supplicant, and networkmanager you are using; or
> even what distribution you are using, and hardware (64-bit, 32-bit).
> You have written 3 times and added no new info.

You need only ask. :)

I am using wpa_supplicant 0.5.7. I am aware that this is a really old version,
and I can try updating it if you think that would make a difference. I am running
on a Thinkpad T61, which is 64-bit. I think I already said which chip I'm using,
but I'll say it again. It's an IWL4965.

Ari

2009-01-11 14:58:29

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Ari Entlich <[email protected]> wrote:
<snipped>
> Most people want to improve the software they write. If they didn't,
> posting to this mailing list would be pointless.

This exchange is not really very productive. While most like to
improve the software they write, a piece of software does not exist to
serve the need of only one person (you). You are just *one* of *many*
users. If you try to make yourself difficult and try to take up too
much time of others, *in proportion to other users*, you will get
ignored. Time is just better spent on other more rewarding or urgent
matters than serving the need of one person.

2009-01-11 04:58:50

by Ari Entlich

On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 13:16 +0000, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 2:13 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:
> <snipped>
> >> Also, it is always useful to quote versions of relevant software -
> >> what version of wpa_supplicant, and networkmanager you are using; or
> >> even what distribution you are using, and hardware (64-bit, 32-bit).
> >> You have written 3 times and added no new info.
> >
> > You need only ask. :)
>
> That info should have been in your first post, or the 2nd...

The first post contained all the information that I felt at the time was
relevant. The second post existed solely to get people to notice me (by
the way, how was it "no use"? I seem to have gotten someone to listen to
me...). If I was wrong in my initial assumption, it is completely within
your capability to correct me without sounding as if I've put some sort
of terrible burden on your head for no reason.

> And you still have not answered one: what distro - that alone would
> have answered or at least hinted at most of the software versions,
> etc.

I'm sorry for not answering this question, somehow I overlooked it. I'm
using Gentoo, which is why my wpa_supplicant is so old - 0.5.7 is the
newest stable version in Gentoo (no idea why).

> 'read my mind'... you are the person asking for help, why do you
> expect others to *chase after you* for info?

Please quit with this "read my mind" crap. If I were asking you to read
my mind, I would not be telling you the information you ask me for or
demanding results before I tell you the required information. I am doing
neither of these things. And also, the fact that you've had to ask me
some questions hardly means you're having to "chase after" anything.

> Most people won't bother.

Most people want to improve the software they write. If they didn't,
posting to this mailing list would be pointless.

> > I am using wpa_supplicant 0.5.7. I am aware that this is a really old version,
> > and I can try updating it if you think that would make a difference. I am running
> > on a Thinkpad T61, which is 64-bit. I think I already said which chip I'm using,
> > but I'll say it again. It's an IWL4965.
>
> Now we are getting somewhere - and my first reply did ask you to run
> wpa_supplicant in the foreground.
> Even for the 0.5.x series, 0.5.10 is current... and most people are
> using 0.6.x . wpa_supplicant (not the driver) is responsible for
> encryption and authentication, and you had a deauthentication problem.
> Hello, anybody home??!!

Given that the version I'm using *CAN* authenticate, it doesn't
immediately make sense to me why wpa_supplicant would be causing this
problem, unless wpa_supplicant is intentionally trying to screw me up by
deauthenticating me. I will try updating, but would you please try a
little harder to hide the fact that you consider me a retard for no
reason next time? Thanks.

> So, as you yourself suggested, you should update. And while you are at
> it, read wpa_supplicant's doc, and work out the debug options and what
> I meant by 'run it in the foreground'.

I know what foreground means. If you look at my response, I guessed that
you meant in order to get debugging messages, which clearly shows that I
knew what you were talking about. And I have in fact tried this (even
before you suggested it), but have run into other problems. I'll try
again.

Ari

2009-01-08 22:43:44

by Ari Entlich

---- [email protected] wrote:
> Hey everyone. I'm using an Intel 4965AGN using the iwlagn
> driver in 2.6.28. When using a specific AP, my connection is
> unexpectedly dropping with nothing more than a
> "wlan0: deauthenticated". Any tips on how I could figure out
> whether this is the driver's fault or the AP's? Another problem I'm
> having is that dhcpcd is timing out a lot, usually after trying to
> reconnect from a connection drop.
>
> The AP is a Linksys WRT54Gv1 with WPA2 and ssid broadcasting enabled.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ari

Um... Bump?

2009-01-08 23:06:13

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:43 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
> ---- [email protected] wrote:
>> Hey everyone. I'm using an Intel 4965AGN using the iwlagn
>> driver in 2.6.28. When using a specific AP, my connection is
>> unexpectedly dropping with nothing more than a
>> "wlan0: deauthenticated". Any tips on how I could figure out
>> whether this is the driver's fault or the AP's? Another problem I'm
>> having is that dhcpcd is timing out a lot, usually after trying to
>> reconnect from a connection drop.
>>
>> The AP is a Linksys WRT54Gv1 with WPA2 and ssid broadcasting enabled.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ari
>
> Um... Bump?

It is no use and quite annoying to do that - it sounds like "read my
mind and spoon-feed me". Your initial post has almost no useful
information to speak of (actual log entries, wpa_supplicant config,
whether using networkmanager or static config, etc).

You probably should try to run wpa_suplicant in the foreground.

2009-01-08 23:18:28

by Ari Entlich

---- Hin-Tak Leung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:43 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
> > ---- [email protected] wrote:
> >> Hey everyone. I'm using an Intel 4965AGN using the iwlagn
> >> driver in 2.6.28. When using a specific AP, my connection is
> >> unexpectedly dropping with nothing more than a
> >> "wlan0: deauthenticated". Any tips on how I could figure out
> >> whether this is the driver's fault or the AP's? Another problem I'm
> >> having is that dhcpcd is timing out a lot, usually after trying to
> >> reconnect from a connection drop.
> >>
> >> The AP is a Linksys WRT54Gv1 with WPA2 and ssid broadcasting enabled.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Ari
> >
> > Um... Bump?
>
> It is no use and quite annoying to do that - it sounds like "read my
> mind and spoon-feed me". Your initial post has almost no useful
> information to speak of (actual log entries, wpa_supplicant config,
> whether using networkmanager or static config, etc).

Um.

Well considering as I'm not a developer and don't know how to debug
these things, I think "spoon-feeding" is an appropriate term, no? And
also, I didn't ask you to read my mind, I didn't even ask you to figure
out the problem for me, I asked for the information that I would need
to figure out the problem MYSELF.

As for "useful information", the "wlan0: deauthenticated" is *LITERALLY*
all I get. I was not lying to you. After stripping out identifying information,
my wpa_supplicant config would be pretty much completely empty. The config
for this AP is about as simple as a consumer WPA2 AP config can be. I am not
using networkmanager.

> You probably should try to run wpa_suplicant in the foreground.

You mean so I can see the debug messages it outputs?

Ari

2009-01-08 23:22:49

by Ari Entlich

---- reinette chatre <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 14:43 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> > ---- [email protected] wrote:
> > > Hey everyone. I'm using an Intel 4965AGN using the iwlagn
> > > driver in 2.6.28. When using a specific AP, my connection is
> > > unexpectedly dropping with nothing more than a
> > > "wlan0: deauthenticated". Any tips on how I could figure out
> > > whether this is the driver's fault or the AP's? Another problem I'm
> > > having is that dhcpcd is timing out a lot, usually after trying to
> > > reconnect from a connection drop.
> > >
> > > The AP is a Linksys WRT54Gv1 with WPA2 and ssid broadcasting enabled.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Ari
> >
> > Um... Bump?
>
> This is very little information to go by. Does the log print a reason
> code? Could you please provide some debug logs? Ensure driver is
> compiled with debugging and load module with debug=0x43fff.

No reason code. As I said, all I get is "wlan0: deauthenticated". I
have tried running with debug=0x43fff, but nothing jumped out
at me. I'll try to dig up some logs and post them.

Ari

2009-01-11 15:48:39

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Ari Entlich <[email protected]> wrote:
<snipped>
> Given that the version I'm using *CAN* authenticate, it doesn't
> immediately make sense to me why wpa_supplicant would be causing this
> problem, unless wpa_supplicant is intentionally trying to screw me up by
> deauthenticating me. I will try updating, but would you please try a
> little harder to hide the fact that you consider me a retard for no
> reason next time? Thanks.

You have been told by my first reply to look at wpa_supplicant, and
again to upgrade.
Why do you insist that you *know it better*, when you are asking for help?

1) there is a newer version of wpa_supplicant in the same series, (and
even a newer series), there is a reason for it. Look it up, upgrade,
and look at the logs, and come back with the logs, *before* you write
again.

2) if I have to spell it out for you, yes, I think you are exactly
right, wpa_supplicant (or the older version of it) is screwing with
you. wpa_supplicant monitors the state of your connectivity
continuously, and it is responsible for authentication *and
reauthentication*. If it detects, or *mis-detects* that your access
point is not working right, it will drop your connection,
deauthenticate and reauthenticate, and f*ck your wireless connectivity

You do not understand that how wpa_supplicant works, and refuse to
listen. wpa_supplicant does not just do one-off authenticate, it also
*reauthenticate* from time to time when necessary, and continuously
monitors and changes the states of communication between your wireless
client and the access point.