2009-09-15 01:24:22

by Hin-Tak Leung

Subject: Re: RTL8187B wireless driver issue

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Vignette consultant
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I get timed out errors consistently as per attached log file.
> I tried several Live Cds from fedora, sidux - but i get the same dhcp
> error. I used to be able to connect before.
>
> Please check attached log and see if you can point me towards the solution.

Your log do not add anything new - I already asked you to do 3 things,
and there is no indication you have done any of them; there is no
point writing me the same things you had wrote to Larry or
linux-wireless, and try to get a private answer - Your won't. (please
do not remove the CC:'s and please do not write privately on general
help matters).

1) make sure that wpa_supplicant is *not* running - newer liveCDs can
have wpa_supplicant working (compare to older which does not use it).

2) make sure your authentication credentials - essid, passphases - are
in the network config files and agree with what you are trying to set
on the command line, just in case udev wants to unset your credentials
you are setting manually on the comamnd line.

3) switch from kernel-modules-backport to a different version of
compat-wireless and/or vice versa. There were some transient bugs a
while ago.

> thanks
> sam
>
> On 9/14/09, Hin-Tak Leung <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Vignette consultant
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Larry,
>>>
>>> I got the same error even after adding wlan0 in
>>> /etc/network/interfaces file. I set the essid using "sudo iwconfig
>>> wlan0 essid linksys" command and restarted network. I tried other
>>> essids, but it gives same error.
>>>
>>> Attached files contain log files. Please advise about solution.
>>>
>>> How do I disable usb monitoring log, so I can see wlan0 interface log
>>> from dmesg?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Sam

>> scanning works, so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the
>> device or the driver itself. However, even for static configuration,
>> sometimes wpa_supplicant can still be involved and interfere, so you
>> probably want to make sure you put all the relevant config in
>> wpa_supplicant.conf , as well as manually; or make sure no other
>> network tools are running. (udev can launch wpa_supplicant/dhcp on
>> ifconfig up automatically - the 'not ready' messages are from udev
>> hooks). Lastly, I think the Ubuntu/Debian family packages
>> compat-wireless as 'kernel-modules-backport' or something; try that or
>> even compat-wireless. ( a while back there was a bug with
>> associattion).

2009-09-15 02:51:37

by Vignette consultant

1 how can i check if wpa_supplicant is running or not?

3 are you saying "to use different driver"?

2 where do i need put essid, so udev can use it?

On 9/14/09, Hin-Tak Leung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Vignette consultant
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I get timed out errors consistently as per attached log file.
>> I tried several Live Cds from fedora, sidux - but i get the same dhcp
>> error. I used to be able to connect before.
>>
>> Please check attached log and see if you can point me towards the
>> solution.
>
> Your log do not add anything new - I already asked you to do 3 things,
> and there is no indication you have done any of them; there is no
> point writing me the same things you had wrote to Larry or
> linux-wireless, and try to get a private answer - Your won't. (please
> do not remove the CC:'s and please do not write privately on general
> help matters).
>
> 1) make sure that wpa_supplicant is *not* running - newer liveCDs can
> have wpa_supplicant working (compare to older which does not use it).
>
> 2) make sure your authentication credentials - essid, passphases - are
> in the network config files and agree with what you are trying to set
> on the command line, just in case udev wants to unset your credentials
> you are setting manually on the comamnd line.
>
> 3) switch from kernel-modules-backport to a different version of
> compat-wireless and/or vice versa. There were some transient bugs a
> while ago.
>

>> thanks
>> sam
>>
>> On 9/14/09, Hin-Tak Leung <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> scanning works, so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the
>>> device or the driver itself. However, even for static configuration,
>>> sometimes wpa_supplicant can still be involved and interfere, so you
>>> probably want to make sure you put all the relevant config in
>>> wpa_supplicant.conf , as well as manually; or make sure no other
>>> network tools are running. (udev can launch wpa_supplicant/dhcp on
>>> ifconfig up automatically - the 'not ready' messages are from udev
>>> hooks). Lastly, I think the Ubuntu/Debian family packages
>>> compat-wireless as 'kernel-modules-backport' or something; try that or
>>> even compat-wireless. ( a while back there was a bug with
>>> associattion).

2009-09-15 04:04:46

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 3:51 AM, Vignette consultant
<[email protected]> wrote:
> 1 how can i check if wpa_supplicant is running or not?

(sigh...) well, have a look at 'ps -lax' , e.g.
ps -lax | grep wpa
ps -lax | grep -i net
ps -lax | grep dh

and see if there is anything you don't know the nature of... (and look
it up on the web!).

> 3 are you saying "to use different driver"?

yes, different version/release of the driver

> 2 where do i need put essid, so udev can use it?

YMMV, on my system (fedora) these are the system locations for wlan2.

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan2
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/keys-wlan2
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-wlan2
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/keys-wlan2

essid is in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and ifcfg-*, and
the key is in keys-* and also in
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf . Also if you use
NetworkManager, it can take credentials from the gnome-keyring-manager
as well.

In the normal course of event, when one if up a network interface,
udev tells either the network service to configure the interface or
talk to NetworkManger via dbus to do it. both network service and
NetworkManager tells wpa_supplicant to start scanning for known APs or
open APs and try to authenticate.

If you are not aware of what wpa_supplicant might be doing, it could
unset whatever credentials you try to set as it scans and look for
known or open APs. You should try to use the NetworkManager applet or
Wireless assistant to set essid and credentials, rather than by hand
on the command line.

Hmm, your Vista screenshot says the AP is unsecure (and the signal
strength is poor), is that the case?