2009-11-21 16:45:30

by Duy Nguyen

Subject: Using wireless-testing tree

Hi everyone, I downloaded and upgraded my kernel with wireless-testing
tree.? I have some questions.

1) I create my own git branch and modify only the mac80211 and
ath5k/ath9k.? How do I compile only these modules and test them
without having? to recompile and upgrade my whole kernel again.
Because of the repetitive nature of modifying and testing drivers, I
am trying to avoid this but is it possible?? Or compat-wireless is a
better alternative.

2) I have compat-wireless-2.6 tree in my wireless-testing tree.? I
still don't know how to create my own compat-wireless even after going
through the wiki online.
cd compat-wireless-2.6
make
but it complains about some errors.

I am just wondering if you could share your most efficient ways
working with wireless-testing tree.?? Thanks.

Duy

2009-11-22 04:23:04

by Hin-Tak Leung

Subject: Re: Using wireless-testing tree

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Duy Nguyen <[email protected]> wrote:

> 2) I have compat-wireless-2.6 tree in my wireless-testing tree.? I
> still don't know how to create my own compat-wireless even after going
> through the wiki online.
> cd compat-wireless-2.6
> make
> but it complains about some errors.

Updating compat-wireless is explained in one of the linuxwireless
pages: In a nutshell, do something like this: (substituting the
GIT_TREE value with your local wireless-testing checkout).

export GIT_TREE="/home/Hin-Tak/git-stuff/wireless-testing/"
./script/admin-refresh.sh

I don't know if using compat-wireless against wireless-testing kernel
works... (they should be identical). But I know it is convenient to
just build some drivers, so I hope it works.

2009-11-21 17:20:16

by Larry Finger

On 11/21/2009 10:45 AM, Duy Nguyen wrote:
> Hi everyone, I downloaded and upgraded my kernel with wireless-testing
> tree. I have some questions.
>
> 1) I create my own git branch and modify only the mac80211 and
> ath5k/ath9k. How do I compile only these modules and test them
> without having to recompile and upgrade my whole kernel again.
> Because of the repetitive nature of modifying and testing drivers, I
> am trying to avoid this but is it possible? Or compat-wireless is a
> better alternative.
>
> 2) I have compat-wireless-2.6 tree in my wireless-testing tree. I
> still don't know how to create my own compat-wireless even after going
> through the wiki online.
> cd compat-wireless-2.6
> make
> but it complains about some errors.
>
> I am just wondering if you could share your most efficient ways
> working with wireless-testing tree. Thanks.

I use the master branch of the wireless-testing git tree and introduce patches
from the mailing list and my own using quilt. That way patching and testing a
single driver usually entails only recompiling that driver and a 'sudo make
modules_install'. Furthermore, it is easy to back out the patches.

I also use wiggle to help with patches that do not apply cleanly, but needing it
is rare.

If you use the latest pull of wireless-testing, then compat-wireless is not
needed as you always have the latest from w-t.

Larry