2009-09-14 12:58:29

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: RTL8187B wireless driver issue

Vignette consultant wrote:
> Larry,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 9.0.4 server edition with kernel image 2.6.30.05
> using rtl8187.ko driver module for RTL8187 wireless adapter.
>
> It always reports "wlan0 link not ready" error causing not able to
> use wireless connection at all while trying to get dhcp ip lease. I
> also get the same "eth0 link not ready" error.
>
> Can you advise of any solution?
>
> PS - I get the same error with Ubuntu 2.6.28-11 server kernel image
> also. I even reinstall it, but no luck so far. It gives me same error
> even if I turn off wireless radio!

Please post any messages to the wireless list. That way the general
community can learn and participate, particularly when I get it wrong.

The usual reason for the "link not ready" message is that the network
is down. How are you controlling the network? For wireless, that
message can come from the rfkill switch being off; however, that
functionality is not implemented in 2.6.30 for rtl8187.

Larry

2009-09-14 14:31:42

by Larry Finger

Vignette consultant wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just built linux kernel 2.6.31 on ubuntu 9.0.4 2.6.28-11 server.
> The dhcpclient wlan0 still is unable to get ip address.
>
> I don't see any message in dmesg log for wlan0. The laptop uses
> RTL8187 built-in usb card.
>
> The Vista is able to connect through wireless dhcp without any
> problem. The linux is not.
>
> How can I trace the root cause of this issue.

How are you controlling the network? Is it with NetworkManager?

Please post the output of the command 'iwconfig'. If you get a
"command not found" message, you will need to provide the full path
such as /sbin/iwconfig. Also, does scanning work? Use the command
'sudo iwlist scan'. That command may also require a full path.

Larry

2009-09-14 20:50:59

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Vignette consultant
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Larry,
>
> I got the same error even after adding wlan0 in
> /etc/network/interfaces file. I set the essid using "sudo iwconfig
> wlan0 essid linksys" command and restarted network. I tried other
> essids, but it gives same error.
>
> Attached files contain log files. Please advise about solution.
>
> How do I disable usb monitoring log, so I can see wlan0 interface log
> from dmesg?
>
> Thanks
> Sam
>
> On 9/14/09, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Vignette consultant wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Attached files contain several logs of various commands. The log-1
>>> file is before running command and log-2 file is after running
>>> specific command.
>>>
>>> Here are commands that I give as soon as I log in. It's server edition.
>>>
>>> $ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
>>> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ESSID linksys
>>> $ sudo dhclient wlan0 - results in no IP addr leased
>>
>> Your wireless has not associated and has no communication, which is
>> why it cannot get an IP using DHCP.
>>
>> A quick check with Google indicates that Ubuntu uses
>> /etc/network/interfaces to control the devices. Once that is correct,
>> you should be able to 'sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart' to start
>> the network. If the server is properly configured, the network should
>> start on boot.
>>
>> BTW, the dmesg buffer is circular. All that usb monitoring output has
>> completely filled the buffer, and it contains no useful information.

scanning works, so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the
device or the driver itself. However, even for static configuration,
sometimes wpa_supplicant can still be involved and interfere, so you
probably want to make sure you put all the relevant config in
wpa_supplicant.conf , as well as manually; or make sure no other
network tools are running. (udev can launch wpa_supplicant/dhcp on
ifconfig up automatically - the 'not ready' messages are from udev
hooks). Lastly, I think the Ubuntu/Debian family packages
compat-wireless as 'kernel-modules-backport' or something; try that or
even compat-wireless. ( a while back there was a bug with
associattion).

2009-09-14 14:19:44

by Vignette consultant

Hi

I just built linux kernel 2.6.31 on ubuntu 9.0.4 2.6.28-11 server.
The dhcpclient wlan0 still is unable to get ip address.

I don't see any message in dmesg log for wlan0. The laptop uses
RTL8187 built-in usb card.

The Vista is able to connect through wireless dhcp without any
problem. The linux is not.

How can I trace the root cause of this issue.

Thanks
Sam

On 9/14/09, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> Vignette consultant wrote:
>> Larry,
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 9.0.4 server edition with kernel image 2.6.30.05
>> using rtl8187.ko driver module for RTL8187 wireless adapter.
>>
>> It always reports "wlan0 link not ready" error causing not able to
>> use wireless connection at all while trying to get dhcp ip lease. I
>> also get the same "eth0 link not ready" error.
>>
>> Can you advise of any solution?
>>
>> PS - I get the same error with Ubuntu 2.6.28-11 server kernel image
>> also. I even reinstall it, but no luck so far. It gives me same error
>> even if I turn off wireless radio!
>
> Please post any messages to the wireless list. That way the general
> community can learn and participate, particularly when I get it wrong.
>
> The usual reason for the "link not ready" message is that the network
> is down. How are you controlling the network? For wireless, that
> message can come from the rfkill switch being off; however, that
> functionality is not implemented in 2.6.30 for rtl8187.
>
> Larry

2009-09-14 17:56:09

by Vignette consultant

Larry,

I got the same error even after adding wlan0 in
/etc/network/interfaces file. I set the essid using "sudo iwconfig
wlan0 essid linksys" command and restarted network. I tried other
essids, but it gives same error.

Attached files contain log files. Please advise about solution.

How do I disable usb monitoring log, so I can see wlan0 interface log
from dmesg?

Thanks
Sam

On 9/14/09, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> Vignette consultant wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Attached files contain several logs of various commands. The log-1
>> file is before running command and log-2 file is after running
>> specific command.
>>
>> Here are commands that I give as soon as I log in. It's server edition.
>>
>> $ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
>> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ESSID linksys
>> $ sudo dhclient wlan0 - results in no IP addr leased
>
> Your wireless has not associated and has no communication, which is
> why it cannot get an IP using DHCP.
>
> A quick check with Google indicates that Ubuntu uses
> /etc/network/interfaces to control the devices. Once that is correct,
> you should be able to 'sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart' to start
> the network. If the server is properly configured, the network should
> start on boot.
>
> BTW, the dmesg buffer is circular. All that usb monitoring output has
> completely filled the buffer, and it contains no useful information.

Attachments:
interfaces.log (238.00 B)
ifconfig.log (0.99 kB)
iwconfig.log (463.00 B)
scan.log (5.03 kB)
dhclient.log (781.00 B)

by Vignette consultant

Hi

Attached files contain several logs of various commands. The log-1
file is before running command and log-2 file is after running
specific command.

Here are commands that I give as soon as I log in. It's server edition.

$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ESSID linksys
$ sudo dhclient wlan0 - results in no IP addr leased

Vista connects on linksys without problem as per attached screenshot.

Please advise me about this problem.

Thanks
Sam

On 9/14/09, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> Vignette consultant wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I just built linux kernel 2.6.31 on ubuntu 9.0.4 2.6.28-11 server.
>> The dhcpclient wlan0 still is unable to get ip address.
>>
>> I don't see any message in dmesg log for wlan0. The laptop uses
>> RTL8187 built-in usb card.
>>
>> The Vista is able to connect through wireless dhcp without any
>> problem. The linux is not.
>>
>> How can I trace the root cause of this issue.
>
> How are you controlling the network? Is it with NetworkManager?
>
> Please post the output of the command 'iwconfig'. If you get a
> "command not found" message, you will need to provide the full path
> such as /sbin/iwconfig. Also, does scanning work? Use the command
> 'sudo iwlist scan'. That command may also require a full path.
>
> Larry

Attachments:
dhclient-log-1.log (778.00 B)
ifconfig-log-1.log (346.00 B)
ifconfig-log-2.log (0.99 kB)
iwconfig-log-1.log (426.00 B)
iwconfig-log-2.log (463.00 B)
iwlist-log-1.log (2.60 kB)
lshw-log-1.log (914.00 B)
lshw-log-2.log (905.00 B)
lsmod-log-1.log (1.15 kB)
lsmod-log-2.log (1.15 kB)
lsusb-log-1.log (703.00 B)
dmesg-log-1.log (121.92 kB)
dmesg-log-2.log (121.92 kB)
vista-wireless-connection.jpg (42.05 kB)

by Larry Finger