2017-03-31 10:40:11

by Zefir Kurtisi

Subject: ath10k: status of UTF support for QCA9984

Hello all (QCA folks in particular),

is somebody around and able to confirm that UTF operation is supported with ath10k?

I am trying to add support for QDART into LEDE and ended up in a situation where I
see each component between host and FW up and running, but the communication loop
is broken in the middle.

My playground is a Netgear R7800 (with dual QCA9984 NICs) running the latest LEDE.

To enable QDART, I ported Qcmbr and have it up and running.

>From qca-wifi-fw-WLAN.BL.3.1-00097-S-1 I built a QCA9984-UTF FW containing
* utf.bin + utf.codeswap.bin + otp.bin
* wmi version 6, htt version 4

When using a QDART application at host side (e.g. QRTC), it connects to Qcmbr at
target. To execute the very first command (e.g. enable continuous RX), Qcmbr
issues an ATH10K_TM_CMD_UTF_START and the UTF FW is loaded and started correctly
(see attached log).

Then ATH10K_TM_CMD_WMI with command id WMI_10X_INIT_CMDID (0x9ffe) follows, and
that's where the communication stops. Qcmbr is expecting a confirmation event, but
the FW responds with an empty frame on ce pipe 1 which is silently dropped by
ath10k, causing Qcmbr to timeout and fail.

My assumption was that the wmi commands are passed transparently to and from FW
and therefore what works with the QSDK drivers should do with ath10k, too. But
either I am missing something, or ath10k is not yet there. Any hint would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Zefir

Attachments: