2008-09-26 21:57:09

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: Release of Atheros 802.11abg HAL under the ISC

As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.

You can find it here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2

This can be used as a source of documentation to help ath5k move
forward to support our 802.11abg chipsets as best as possible in
the Linux kernel. We look forward to keep working strongly with the
community on advancing support of all our Atheros chipsets under Linux.

Luis

2008-09-29 04:23:00

by Michael Renzmann

Subject: Re: Release of Atheros 802.11abg HAL under the ISC

Hi.

Glenn Saberton wrote:
> Why is #ath9k invite only?

It's not particularly on-topic here, so just a short note: #ath9k should
not be invite-only (but I will check again). It forwards to #madwifi,
which is used for discussion about MadWifi, ath5k and ath9k.

Bye, Mike

2008-09-26 22:56:05

by Maxim Levitsky

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
> under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
> our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.
>
> You can find it here:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2
>
> This can be used as a source of documentation to help ath5k move
> forward to support our 802.11abg chipsets as best as possible in
> the Linux kernel. We look forward to keep working strongly with the
> community on advancing support of all our Atheros chipsets under Linux.

If I understand this correctly, madwifi is no longer a non-free driver?

Regards,
Maxim Levitsky

2008-09-26 23:00:42

by Greg KH

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 02:57:01PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
> under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
> our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.
>
> You can find it here:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2
>
> This can be used as a source of documentation to help ath5k move
> forward to support our 802.11abg chipsets as best as possible in
> the Linux kernel. We look forward to keep working strongly with the
> community on advancing support of all our Atheros chipsets under Linux.

Wonderful, thanks a lot for making this happen!

greg k-h

2008-09-26 22:09:42

by Michael Büsch

On Friday 26 September 2008 23:57:01 Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
> under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
> our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.
>
> You can find it here:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2
>
> This can be used as a source of documentation to help ath5k move
> forward to support our 802.11abg chipsets as best as possible in
> the Linux kernel. We look forward to keep working strongly with the
> community on advancing support of all our Atheros chipsets under Linux.

Great news. Thanks a lot for your amazing work at atheros, Luis!

I hope that other companies *cough* reconsider moving towards this
direction, too.

--
Greetings Michael.

2008-09-26 22:02:44

by Nick Kossifidis

2008/9/27 Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]>:
> As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
> under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
> our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.
>
> You can find it here:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2
>
> This can be used as a source of documentation to help ath5k move
> forward to support our 802.11abg chipsets as best as possible in
> the Linux kernel. We look forward to keep working strongly with the
> community on advancing support of all our Atheros chipsets under Linux.
>
> Luis

Thanks a lot for this !!!

Can't wait to get my hands dirty ;-)

I 'll start merging stuff on ath5k asap !!!

--
GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)

2008-09-27 12:42:59

by Jiri Slaby

On 09/26/2008 11:57 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
> under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
> our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.
>
> You can find it here:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2
>
> This can be used as a source of documentation to help ath5k move
> forward to support our 802.11abg chipsets as best as possible in
> the Linux kernel. We look forward to keep working strongly with the
> community on advancing support of all our Atheros chipsets under Linux.

GREAT!

2008-09-26 23:01:57

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 03:55:58PM -0700, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> If I understand this correctly, madwifi is no longer a non-free driver?

MadWifi is based on a proprietary HAL which is slightly different
than this one, so no, its still non-free. The "free" drivers where
I think focus should be put in is ath5k and ath9k as they are now both
merged as part of the Linux kernel.

Luis

2008-09-28 13:41:39

by Glenn Saberton

2008-09-26 23:13:27

by Sam Leffler

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 03:55:58PM -0700, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
>
>> If I understand this correctly, madwifi is no longer a non-free driver?
>>

> MadWifi is based on a proprietary HAL which is slightly different
> than this one, so no, its still non-free. The "free" drivers where
> I think focus should be put in is ath5k and ath9k as they are now both
> merged as part of the Linux kernel.

The hal is not proprietary; Atheros just won't allow me to release it.
And there are significant differences between the two code bases.

Sam

2008-09-27 15:34:12

by Tim Gardner

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 02:57:01PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
>> under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
>> our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.
>>
>> You can find it here:
>>
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2
>>
>> This can be used as a source of documentation to help ath5k move
>> forward to support our 802.11abg chipsets as best as possible in
>> the Linux kernel. We look forward to keep working strongly with the
>> community on advancing support of all our Atheros chipsets under Linux.
>
> Awesome...simply, awesome!
>
> I hereby nominate Atheros for this year's "Most Improved Open Source
> Corporate Citizen" award! :-)
>
> Great job, Luis!
>
> John

Luis _has_ done a great job. Having dealt with Atheros in another life,
I can appreciate the mountains he's moved.

I would also offer my appreciation to those unnamed, enlightened
individuals within Atheros that made this possible. Nothing would please
me more then to be able to drop the madwifi HAL in favor of full support
from ath5k.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner [email protected]

2008-09-26 23:21:38

by H. Peter Anvin

Sam Leffler wrote:

>> MadWifi is based on a proprietary HAL which is slightly different
>> than this one, so no, its still non-free. The "free" drivers where
>> I think focus should be put in is ath5k and ath9k as they are now both
>> merged as part of the Linux kernel.
>>

> The hal is not proprietary; Atheros just won't allow me to release it.
> And there are significant differences between the two code bases.

Perhaps you and Luis can work together on fixing that problem?

And Luis, congratulations on your work so far. It has really paid off.

-hpa

2008-09-27 14:37:54

by John W. Linville

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 02:57:01PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
> under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
> our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.
>
> You can find it here:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2
>
> This can be used as a source of documentation to help ath5k move
> forward to support our 802.11abg chipsets as best as possible in
> the Linux kernel. We look forward to keep working strongly with the
> community on advancing support of all our Atheros chipsets under Linux.

Awesome...simply, awesome!

I hereby nominate Atheros for this year's "Most Improved Open Source
Corporate Citizen" award! :-)

Great job, Luis!

John
--
John W. Linville Linux should be at the core
[email protected] of your literate lifestyle.

2008-09-27 13:40:03

by Bob Copeland

Subject: Re: [ath5k-devel] Release of Atheros 802.11abg HAL under the ISC

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 02:57:01PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
> under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
> our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.
>
> You can find it here:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2

Awesome news!! Thank you Luis and Atheros!

--
Bob Copeland %% http://www.bobcopeland.com

2008-09-28 20:49:51

by Derek Smithies

Luis,
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
> under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
> our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.
>
> You can find it here:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2
>
> This can be used as a source of documentation to help ath5k move
> forward to support our 802.11abg chipsets as best as possible in
> the Linux kernel. We look forward to keep working strongly with the
> community on advancing support of all our Atheros chipsets under Linux.
>
> Luis

A huge vote of thanks and congratulations are due to Atheros for
taking the step of releasing the HAL. There will be many in the open
source community celebrating this move.

Much Kudos is due to Atheros for taking this step.

The ath5k community is going to benefit hugely from being able to optimise
the driver based on a more accurate knowledge of the workings of the HAL.

Patches like
https://lists.ath5k.org/pipermail/ath5k-devel/2008-September/001311.html
will improve the reliability, and are only possible because of the release
of the HAL.

Thanks are due to Luis also, for taking his part in getting the HAL
released.

Perhaps we can all now work together on getting a stable driver for
Atheros cards under Linux. - Ath5k or Ath9k (don't care which).

Derek.
--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.

2008-10-27 09:05:05

by JUN

Luis R. Rodriguez <lrodriguez@...> writes:

> As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
> under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
> our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.
>
> You can find it here:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2
>
> This can be used as a source of documentation to help ath5k move
> forward to support our 802.11abg chipsets as best as possible in
> the Linux kernel. We look forward to keep working strongly with the
> community on advancing support of all our Atheros chipsets under Linux.
>
> Luis

Thanks for your great job

would you tell me which version of the madwifi you tested
with the HAL source, and work? I've tried with madwifi-0.9.3.1 and simply
replaced the xscale-be-elf.hal.o.uu with the new one.
madwifi-0.9.3.1 use HAL 0.9.18 by default, and the HAL from
your source is 0.9.17.1.

2008-10-27 20:07:14

by Nick Kossifidis

2008/10/24 JUN <[email protected]>:
> and the HAL from
> your source is 0.9.17.1.

It's much better (notice AR2425 etc support), they just haven't
updated the version string.

--
GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)
Nick

2008-10-27 10:30:07

by Johannes Berg

JUN wrote:
> would you tell me which version of the madwifi you tested
> with the HAL source, and work? I've tried with madwifi-0.9.3.1 and simply
> replaced the xscale-be-elf.hal.o.uu with the new one.
> madwifi-0.9.3.1 use HAL 0.9.18 by default, and the HAL from
> your source is 0.9.17.1.

this code isn't meant to be used, with madwifi or otherwise, other than
for improving ath5k, so what you're asking isn't a sensible question.

johannes