2009-10-20 15:27:46

by Karol Pucyński

Subject: Wrong BSSID generation in IBSS mode with ath5k

Hi

I have IBSS network (based on ath5k cards).
With the same channel/essid set cards often can't "negotiate" the
same BSSID. Two nodes beside each other both create new IBSS networks
and they are not trying to merge.
Workaround: forcing BSSID with iw does work.

Do you know what can be the reason of this problem?

Tested on 2.6.31 kernel. May be related to my earlier problem 'ath5k
IBSS fixed rate'...

Best regards
--
Karol Pucyński
7bulls.com Sp. z o.o.

signature.asc (197.00 B)
To jest część wiadomości podpisana cyfrowo

2009-10-20 17:16:07

by Reinette Chatre

Subject: Re: Wrong BSSID generation in IBSS mode with ath5k

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 08:27 -0700, Karol Pucyński wrote:
> I have IBSS network (based on ath5k cards).
> With the same channel/essid set cards often can't "negotiate" the
> same BSSID. Two nodes beside each other both create new IBSS networks
> and they are not trying to merge.
> Workaround: forcing BSSID with iw does work.
>
> Do you know what can be the reason of this problem?
>
> Tested on 2.6.31 kernel. May be related to my earlier problem 'ath5k
> IBSS fixed rate'...

Are you using compat-wireless? If not, then ignore this email.

If you are using the latest wireless bits using compat-wireless then you
may have run into this issue
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/41129

Reinette

2009-10-25 00:18:44

by X Xiao

there was a patch fixed that, it's on the list a few days back.

> 2009/10/20 Karol Pucyński <[email protected]>:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have IBSS network (based on ath5k cards).
> > With the same channel/essid set cards often can't
> "negotiate" the
> > same BSSID. Two nodes beside each other both create
> new IBSS networks
> > and they are not trying to merge.
> > Workaround: forcing BSSID with iw does work.
> >
> > Do you know what can be the reason of this problem?
> >
> > Tested on 2.6.31 kernel. May be related to my earlier
> problem 'ath5k
> > IBSS fixed rate'...
> >
> > Best regards
> > --
> > Karol Pucyński
> > 7bulls.com Sp. z o.o.
> > [email protected]
> >

> In my tests i had to force a scan on one of the cards (so
> that it
> knows what cells are active) and then set the essid. Does
> that work
> for you ?
>
> --
> GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
> As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)
> Nick
> linux-wireless" in
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

2009-10-24 23:27:05