2019-09-09 14:26:17

by Qu Wenruo

Subject: Re: [linuxwifi] Slow performance (~30mbps) with Intel 9260 (and 8265, 3168) using 5G

On 2019/9/9 下午2:00, Luciano Coelho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2019-09-08 at 06:45 +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:
>> Hi,

[...]
>> Any ideas how this could happen to 3 different intel cards on two
>> different systems? (Although all running the same Arch kernel and latest
>> firmware)
>
> This really must be an environment issue. You are describing the same
> problem with different NICs (which mean different FWs are being used)
> and the same problem on Windows (which means different driver version
> being used), so it's not a new bug in either the firmware or the
> driver.

You're completely right. I have reset and upgraded my router (an MT7621
based router with OpenWRT) to latest OpenWRT, then the problem just went
away.

It looks like, under the original environment, it's the Android phone
doing something strange.

> Was it working properly before? Did it start happening only when you
> changed the NIC (even though you changed it back and it remained not
> working)? What else changed?

Nothing really, so I may hit something wrong with the NIC of the router,
not all these NICs.

> I can't see anything hinting any issues in dmesg. Also, I'm a bit
> confused about the "5G" you mention. Does that mean that the AP is
> connected to the internet via 5G?

Sorry for the confusion, I mean 5Ghz.

All tests are done in 5GHz freq (802.11ac), and iperf server is
connected by RJ45 (1Gbps) and iperf client is through wifi.

Anyway, after resetting the router, it's now back to the ~300 mpbs range.

Thanks,
Qu

> --
> Cheers,
> Luca.

Attachments:
signature.asc (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2019-09-09 14:27:55

by Luciano Coelho

On Mon, 2019-09-09 at 14:09 +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:

> On 2019/9/9 下午2:00, Luciano Coelho wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, 2019-09-08 at 06:45 +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> [...]
> > > Any ideas how this could happen to 3 different intel cards on two
> > > different systems? (Although all running the same Arch kernel and latest
> > > firmware)
> >
> > This really must be an environment issue. You are describing the same
> > problem with different NICs (which mean different FWs are being used)
> > and the same problem on Windows (which means different driver version
> > being used), so it's not a new bug in either the firmware or the
> > driver.
>
> You're completely right. I have reset and upgraded my router (an MT7621
> based router with OpenWRT) to latest OpenWRT, then the problem just went
> away.

Great!

> It looks like, under the original environment, it's the Android phone
> doing something strange.

It's hard to tell, because the characteristics of the WiFi on your
Android phone are very different from those on your laptop.

> > Was it working properly before? Did it start happening only when you
> > changed the NIC (even though you changed it back and it remained not
> > working)? What else changed?
>
> Nothing really, so I may hit something wrong with the NIC of the router,
> not all these NICs.

There was probably an upgrade of OpenWRT that started causing the
issue. Hard to say.

> > I can't see anything hinting any issues in dmesg. Also, I'm a bit
> > confused about the "5G" you mention. Does that mean that the AP is
> > connected to the internet via 5G?
>
> Sorry for the confusion, I mean 5Ghz.

Ah, I should have guessed, of course. It's just that the word 5G has a
totally different meaning, hardcoded in my head, so I got confused. ;)

> All tests are done in 5GHz freq (802.11ac), and iperf server is
> connected by RJ45 (1Gbps) and iperf client is through wifi.
>
> Anyway, after resetting the router, it's now back to the ~300 mpbs range.

That's great to hear! Let us know if you encounter any further issues.

Luca.