2009-10-13 22:43:49

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: Stable compat-wireless 2.6.32-rc4 released

As the kernel moves along so does the automatic stable backports for
the wireless subsystem [1]. We are now on 2.6.32-rc4. Besides getting
the same fixes from rc1..rc4 some backport changes were made as well,
most importantly that of relying on your own kernel's iw_handler.h.
I've tested this release with 2.6.28.

Please report any issues you see.

[1] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable

PS. If you maintain a distribution and rely on stable compat-wireless
releases please let me know so I can CC you when further updates are
made.

Luis

2009-10-14 15:27:06

by Tim Gardner

Subject: Re: Stable compat-wireless 2.6.32-rc4 released

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Kunal Gangakhedkar
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 14 Oct 2009 6:20:33 am Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>> Well if you are a distro stuck on the 2.6.31 kernel the stable
>>> compat-wireless-2.6.32 gets you 2.6.32 wireless bits on 2.6.31 and
>>> that means any features/drivers/large fixes/enhancements that didn't
>>> make it to 2.6.31.
>>>
>> Isn't this the whole purpose of linux-backports-modules in ubuntu as well?
>
> Yes, but lbm currently relies on the bleeding edge compat-wireless
> which is exactly that -- bleeding edge, it may or may not work. The
> stable compat-wireless releases are based on the latest stable kernel
> releases and latest rc kernel release so they are deemed to be stable
> snapshots following the kernel release cycle.
>
> Luis

I am currently in the process of adopting compat-wireless-2.6.32-rc4 in
Karmic LBM.

Luis - Have I remembered to thank you for all your hard work?

rtg
--
Tim Gardner [email protected]

2009-10-15 05:57:23

by Kunal Gangakhedkar

On Wednesday 14 Oct 2009 8:04:32 pm Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Kunal Gangakhedkar
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 Oct 2009 6:20:33 am Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> >> Well if you are a distro stuck on the 2.6.31 kernel the stable
> >> compat-wireless-2.6.32 gets you 2.6.32 wireless bits on 2.6.31 and
> >> that means any features/drivers/large fixes/enhancements that didn't
> >> make it to 2.6.31.
> >
> > Isn't this the whole purpose of linux-backports-modules in ubuntu as
> > well?
>
> Yes, but lbm currently relies on the bleeding edge compat-wireless
> which is exactly that -- bleeding edge, it may or may not work. The
> stable compat-wireless releases are based on the latest stable kernel
> releases and latest rc kernel release so they are deemed to be stable
> snapshots following the kernel release cycle.
>
> Luis

Got that - thanks for the explanation :)

Kunal

2009-10-14 14:35:30

by Luis R. Rodriguez

<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 Oct 2009 6:20:33 am Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Tim Gardner <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> > Speaking as a distro, what advantage does the stable wireless backport
>> > offer for the currently released kernel if we are already consumers of
>> > stable updates?
>>
>> Well if you are a distro stuck on the 2.6.31 kernel the stable
>> compat-wireless-2.6.32 gets you 2.6.32 wireless bits on 2.6.31 and
>> that means any features/drivers/large fixes/enhancements that didn't
>> make it to 2.6.31.
>>

> Isn't this the whole purpose of linux-backports-modules in ubuntu as well?

Yes, but lbm currently relies on the bleeding edge compat-wireless
which is exactly that -- bleeding edge, it may or may not work. The
stable compat-wireless releases are based on the latest stable kernel
releases and latest rc kernel release so they are deemed to be stable
snapshots following the kernel release cycle.

Luis

2009-10-14 00:26:13

by Tim Gardner

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> As the kernel moves along so does the automatic stable backports for
> the wireless subsystem [1]. We are now on 2.6.32-rc4. Besides getting
> the same fixes from rc1..rc4 some backport changes were made as well,
> most importantly that of relying on your own kernel's iw_handler.h.
> I've tested this release with 2.6.28.
>
> Please report any issues you see.
>
> [1] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable
>
> PS. If you maintain a distribution and rely on stable compat-wireless
> releases please let me know so I can CC you when further updates are
> made.
>
> Luis

Speaking as a distro, what advantage does the stable wireless backport
offer for the currently released kernel if we are already consumers of
stable updates?

rtg
--
Tim Gardner [email protected]

2009-10-14 00:51:29

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Tim Gardner <[email protected]> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> As the kernel moves along so does the automatic stable backports for
>> the wireless subsystem [1]. We are now on 2.6.32-rc4. Besides getting
>> the same fixes from rc1..rc4 some backport changes were made as well,
>> most importantly that of relying on your own kernel's iw_handler.h.
>> I've tested this release with 2.6.28.
>>
>> Please report any issues you see.
>>
>> [1] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable
>>
>> PS. If you maintain a distribution and rely on stable compat-wireless
>> releases please let me know so I can CC you when further updates are
>> made.
>>
>>  Luis
>>

> Speaking as a distro, what advantage does the stable wireless backport offer
> for the currently released kernel if we are already consumers of stable
> updates?

Well if you are a distro stuck on the 2.6.31 kernel the stable
compat-wireless-2.6.32 gets you 2.6.32 wireless bits on 2.6.31 and
that means any features/drivers/large fixes/enhancements that didn't
make it to 2.6.31.

Luis

2009-10-14 06:02:39

by Kunal Gangakhedkar

On Wednesday 14 Oct 2009 6:20:33 am Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Tim Gardner <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > Speaking as a distro, what advantage does the stable wireless backport
> > offer for the currently released kernel if we are already consumers of
> > stable updates?
>
> Well if you are a distro stuck on the 2.6.31 kernel the stable
> compat-wireless-2.6.32 gets you 2.6.32 wireless bits on 2.6.31 and
> that means any features/drivers/large fixes/enhancements that didn't
> make it to 2.6.31.

Isn't this the whole purpose of linux-backports-modules in ubuntu as well?

Kunal

2009-10-14 16:52:45

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Tim Gardner <[email protected]> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Kunal Gangakhedkar
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Isn't this the whole purpose of linux-backports-modules in ubuntu as well?
>>
>> Yes, but lbm currently relies on the bleeding edge compat-wireless
>> which is exactly that -- bleeding edge, it may or may not work. The
>> stable compat-wireless releases are based on the latest stable kernel
>> releases and latest rc kernel release so they are deemed to be stable
>> snapshots following the kernel release cycle.
>>
>>   Luis
>>

> I am currently in the process of adopting compat-wireless-2.6.32-rc4 in
> Karmic LBM.

Oh nice.

> Luis - Have I remembered to thank you for all your hard work?

I think so :) Fortunately Hauke Mehrtens and others are also
contributing to maintaining it as well. But I'll accept single malt
whiskey next time we see each other though :)

Luis