2007-05-02 04:39:59

by Larry Finger

Subject: Compilation error with latest wireless-dev

Compiling wireless-dev (commit d2f859f56c9f00f093f943cf810a863a5aa2e10f) results in the following
error when building modules:

WARNING: "tcf_destroy_chain" [net/mac80211/mac80211.ko] undefined!
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make: *** [modules] Error 2

In my configuration, net/sched/sch_api.c where tcf_destroy_chain is defined is not compiled. The
network-related configuration parameters are:

#
# Networking
#
CONFIG_NET=y

#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=m
CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_XFRM=y
CONFIG_XFRM_USER=m
# CONFIG_XFRM_SUB_POLICY is not set
# CONFIG_XFRM_MIGRATE is not set
CONFIG_NET_KEY=m
# CONFIG_NET_KEY_MIGRATE is not set
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_ASK_IP_FIB_HASH=y
# CONFIG_IP_FIB_TRIE is not set
CONFIG_IP_FIB_HASH=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH=y
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH_CACHED is not set
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_VERBOSE=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP=y
CONFIG_NET_IPIP=m
CONFIG_NET_IPGRE=m
CONFIG_NET_IPGRE_BROADCAST=y
CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y
CONFIG_IP_PIMSM_V1=y
CONFIG_IP_PIMSM_V2=y
# CONFIG_ARPD is not set
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
CONFIG_INET_AH=m
CONFIG_INET_ESP=m
CONFIG_INET_IPCOMP=m
CONFIG_INET_XFRM_TUNNEL=m
CONFIG_INET_TUNNEL=m
CONFIG_INET_XFRM_MODE_TRANSPORT=m
CONFIG_INET_XFRM_MODE_TUNNEL=m
CONFIG_INET_XFRM_MODE_BEET=y
CONFIG_INET_DIAG=m
CONFIG_INET_TCP_DIAG=m
# CONFIG_TCP_CONG_ADVANCED is not set
CONFIG_TCP_CONG_CUBIC=y
CONFIG_DEFAULT_TCP_CONG="cubic"
# CONFIG_TCP_MD5SIG is not set
# CONFIG_IPV6 is not set
# CONFIG_INET6_XFRM_TUNNEL is not set
# CONFIG_INET6_TUNNEL is not set
# CONFIG_NETWORK_SECMARK is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER is not set
#
# Wireless
#
CONFIG_CFG80211=m
CONFIG_NL80211=y
CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=y
CONFIG_MAC80211=m
CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUGFS=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUG=y
# CONFIG_MAC80211_VERBOSE_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_MAC80211_LOWTX_FRAME_DUMP is not set
# CONFIG_TKIP_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUG_COUNTERS is not set
# CONFIG_HOSTAPD_WPA_TESTING is not set
# CONFIG_MAC80211_IBSS_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_MAC80211_VERBOSE_PS_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_IEEE80211 is not set

Larry

2007-05-02 10:02:30

by Ian Schram

Subject: Re: Compilation error with latest wireless-dev

I have had the same experience. pretty frustrating to see the dns queries being
answered. But all the kernel does is send an "ICMP port unreachable" back to the
dns server.

The only thing I can think of that could cause this is "netpoll" trapping the rx
But I only say that because there were some recent changes to that code, and
the name sounds suspicious ;)

The compile error went away when I selected NET_SCHED which was the
"QoS/and fair queing" entry in menuconfig.

cheers Ian.

Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Quoting Larry Finger <[email protected]>:
>
>> Compiling wireless-dev (commit d2f859f56c9f00f093f943cf810a863a5aa2e10f)
>> results in the following
>> error when building modules:
>>
>> WARNING: "tcf_destroy_chain" [net/mac80211/mac80211.ko] undefined!
>> make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
>> make: *** [modules] Error 2
>>
>> In my configuration, net/sched/sch_api.c where tcf_destroy_chain is defined
>> is not compiled. The
>> network-related configuration parameters are:
>
> Same problem here. CONFIG_NET_SCH_FIFO was enabled, apparently by
> net/mac80211/Kconfig, but CONFIG_NET_SCHED. Selecting the later (but none of
> the schedulers) fixed the compile error.
>
> However, the is something weird with the new kernel. DNS has stopped working.
> Under the new kernel, DNS requests get "port unreachable" ICMP responses seen
> in Wireshark (sorry, I would have to reboot to get the exact message). The DNS
> server is in a different subnet. I can ping it and even telnet (over TCP) to
> the DNS port 53.
>
> Under the old kernel, the DNS requests are answered properly.
>
> There is no way netdev folks can be unaware of it, so it's just a word of
> caution, not a bugreport.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pavel Roskin
> -

by Pavel Roskin

Quoting Larry Finger <[email protected]>:

> Compiling wireless-dev (commit d2f859f56c9f00f093f943cf810a863a5aa2e10f)
> results in the following
> error when building modules:
>
> WARNING: "tcf_destroy_chain" [net/mac80211/mac80211.ko] undefined!
> make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
> make: *** [modules] Error 2
>
> In my configuration, net/sched/sch_api.c where tcf_destroy_chain is defined
> is not compiled. The
> network-related configuration parameters are:

Same problem here. CONFIG_NET_SCH_FIFO was enabled, apparently by
net/mac80211/Kconfig, but CONFIG_NET_SCHED. Selecting the later (but none of
the schedulers) fixed the compile error.

However, the is something weird with the new kernel. DNS has stopped working.
Under the new kernel, DNS requests get "port unreachable" ICMP responses seen
in Wireshark (sorry, I would have to reboot to get the exact message). The DNS
server is in a different subnet. I can ping it and even telnet (over TCP) to
the DNS port 53.

Under the old kernel, the DNS requests are answered properly.

There is no way netdev folks can be unaware of it, so it's just a word of
caution, not a bugreport.

Pavel Roskin

2007-05-02 14:22:40

by John W. Linville

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 02:34:06AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Quoting Larry Finger <[email protected]>:
>
> > Compiling wireless-dev (commit d2f859f56c9f00f093f943cf810a863a5aa2e10f)
> > results in the following
> > error when building modules:
> >
> > WARNING: "tcf_destroy_chain" [net/mac80211/mac80211.ko] undefined!
> > make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
> > make: *** [modules] Error 2
> >
> > In my configuration, net/sched/sch_api.c where tcf_destroy_chain is defined
> > is not compiled. The
> > network-related configuration parameters are:
>
> Same problem here. CONFIG_NET_SCH_FIFO was enabled, apparently by
> net/mac80211/Kconfig, but CONFIG_NET_SCHED. Selecting the later (but none of
> the schedulers) fixed the compile error.

So, should net/mac80211/Kconfig select NET_SCHED instead? Or should
NET_SCH_FIFO select it?

If the latter, will that cause any circular problems given that
NET_SCHED already selects NET_SCH_FIFO?

Any Kconfig experts have an opinion?

John
--