2007-08-07 16:21:03

by Alex Deucher

Subject: Marvell pci wifi chips

Is anyone working on a driver for the marvell pci libertas chips
(8335, 8300, 8310, etc.) or know of someone who is? I've got several
of these cards not doing anything at the moment if someone is
interested in one. It seems there are several drivers floating
around:

- mrv8k driver (http://www.saillard.org/linux/mrv8k/)
- openbsd malo driver (http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=malo)
- marvell GPL driver (http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/files/marvell.tar.bz2)

Reading through the linux-wireless archive, several people seemed to
indicate there was work going on, but I have not been able to find any
information on that other than Holger's CF libertas integration. I
and others have asked before, but there seems to be some confusion as
to the whole libertas line and their relative compatibility. Just
curious.

Thanks,

Alex

2007-08-09 11:29:40

by Ian Schram

Subject: Re: Marvell pci wifi chips

it appears to be using files from the madwifi project.

ian

Alex Deucher wrote:
> [...]
> from drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_debug.h:42,
> from drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_debug.c:26:
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_descriptors.h:72:
> warning: 'packed' attribute ignored
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_descriptors.h:90:
> warning: 'packed' attribute ignored
> In file included from drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:43,
> from drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_debug.h:42,
> from drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_debug.c:26:
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_wlanext.h:37:26: error:
> if_ethersubr.h: No such file or directory
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_wlanext.h:38:22: error:
> if_media.h: No such file or directory
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_wlanext.h:39:20: error:
> if_llc.h: No such file or directory
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_wlanext.h:40:27: error:
> ieee80211_var.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_debug.h:42,
> from drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_debug.c:26:
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:44:29: error:
> ieee80211_proto.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_debug.h:42,
> from drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_debug.c:26:
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:125: error:
> field 'beaconOffsets' has incomplete type
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:129: error:
> field 'node' has incomplete type
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:200: warning:
> 'enum ieee80211_state' declared inside parameter list
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:200: warning:
> its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably
> not what you want
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:200: warning:
> 'struct ieee80211com' declared inside parameter list
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:201: warning:
> 'struct ieee80211com' declared inside parameter list
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:204: warning:
> 'struct ieee80211com' declared inside parameter list
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:208: warning:
> 'struct ieee80211com' declared inside parameter list
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:231: error:
> field 'curr80211com' has incomplete type
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:232: error:
> field 'initialOpmode' has incomplete type
> drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:233: error:
> field 'currChannel' has incomplete type
> make[4]: *** [drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_debug.o] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap] Error 2
> make[2]: *** [drivers/net/wireless] Error 2

by Alex Deucher

On 8/7/07, John W. Linville <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:21:02PM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > Is anyone working on a driver for the marvell pci libertas chips
> > (8335, 8300, 8310, etc.) or know of someone who is? I've got several
> > of these cards not doing anything at the moment if someone is
> > interested in one. It seems there are several drivers floating
> > around:
> >
> > - mrv8k driver (http://www.saillard.org/linux/mrv8k/)
> > - openbsd malo driver (http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=malo)
> > - marvell GPL driver (http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/files/marvell.tar.bz2)
> >
> > Reading through the linux-wireless archive, several people seemed to
> > indicate there was work going on, but I have not been able to find any
> > information on that other than Holger's CF libertas integration. I
> > and others have asked before, but there seems to be some confusion as
> > to the whole libertas line and their relative compatibility. Just
> > curious.
>
> I think I saw discussion lately to the effect that the PCI devices are
> not currently supported, and that they likely could be supported by
> simply implementing a PCI front-end to the core of the libertas code.
> I think Holger is the person most likely to know for sure.
>
> I've got cards like that too -- would love for you to get them
> working... :-)

Has anyone tested the marvell driver
(http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/files/marvell.tar.bz2)? Does it
work?

Alex

2007-08-08 09:34:12

by Johannes Berg

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 08:48 +0200, Holger Schurig wrote:
> > Has anyone tested the marvell driver
> > (http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/files/marvell.tar.bz2)?
> > Does it work?
>
> Maybe the author ?!?

But who'd that be? It looks like internal to some embedded systems
company IIRC.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (190.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-08-08 06:48:49

by Holger Schurig

> Has anyone tested the marvell driver
> (http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/files/marvell.tar.bz2)?
> =A0Does it work?

Maybe the author ?!?

If you have a PCI based card with a Marvell WLAN chip, why don't=20
you try this driver and report success/failure here on the=20
mailing list?

2007-08-08 06:48:12

by Holger Schurig

- marvell GPL driver
> (http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/files/marvell.tar.bz2)

I looked at this driver. Yes, it seems to be for a PCI Marvell
WLAN chip.

But looking at the registers (e.g. bit definitions), this driver
seems to have a very (!) different architecture to the
CF/SDIO/USB based 83xx chips the libertas driver supports.

So feel free to grab this driver, push it in shape and submit it
to the Linux kernel. It's GPL, after all :-)

2007-08-09 05:43:26

by Alex Deucher

> [...]

drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:201: warning:
'struct ieee80211com' declared inside parameter list
drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:204: warning:
'struct ieee80211com' declared inside parameter list
drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:208: warning:
'struct ieee80211com' declared inside parameter list
drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:231: error:
field 'curr80211com' has incomplete type
drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:232: error:
field 'initialOpmode' has incomplete type
drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_main.h:233: error:
field 'currChannel' has incomplete type
make[4]: *** [drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap/driver/mwl_debug.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [drivers/net/wireless/marvell_softap] Error 2
make[2]: *** [drivers/net/wireless] Error 2

2007-08-07 18:06:06

by John W. Linville

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:21:02PM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> Is anyone working on a driver for the marvell pci libertas chips
> (8335, 8300, 8310, etc.) or know of someone who is? I've got several
> of these cards not doing anything at the moment if someone is
> interested in one. It seems there are several drivers floating
> around:
>
> - mrv8k driver (http://www.saillard.org/linux/mrv8k/)
> - openbsd malo driver (http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=malo)
> - marvell GPL driver (http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/files/marvell.tar.bz2)
>
> Reading through the linux-wireless archive, several people seemed to
> indicate there was work going on, but I have not been able to find any
> information on that other than Holger's CF libertas integration. I
> and others have asked before, but there seems to be some confusion as
> to the whole libertas line and their relative compatibility. Just
> curious.

I think I saw discussion lately to the effect that the PCI devices are
not currently supported, and that they likely could be supported by
simply implementing a PCI front-end to the core of the libertas code.
I think Holger is the person most likely to know for sure.

I've got cards like that too -- would love for you to get them
working... :-)

John
--
John W. Linville

by Dan Williams

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 13:34 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:21:02PM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > Is anyone working on a driver for the marvell pci libertas chips
> > (8335, 8300, 8310, etc.) or know of someone who is? I've got several
> > of these cards not doing anything at the moment if someone is
> > interested in one. It seems there are several drivers floating
> > around:
> >
> > - mrv8k driver (http://www.saillard.org/linux/mrv8k/)
> > - openbsd malo driver (http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=malo)
> > - marvell GPL driver (http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/files/marvell.tar.bz2)
> >
> > Reading through the linux-wireless archive, several people seemed to
> > indicate there was work going on, but I have not been able to find any
> > information on that other than Holger's CF libertas integration. I
> > and others have asked before, but there seems to be some confusion as
> > to the whole libertas line and their relative compatibility. Just
> > curious.
>
> I think I saw discussion lately to the effect that the PCI devices are
> not currently supported, and that they likely could be supported by
> simply implementing a PCI front-end to the core of the libertas code.
> I think Holger is the person most likely to know for sure.

Well, it depends if the firmware interface is similar to the 838x line.
These are fullmac chips, but I'm unsure if the 8335/8300/8310 are
anything like that. ISTR they are more softmac-like, and therefore the
firmware interface would be quite different. Might need a different
driver for them.

Dan