2008-01-10 19:26:12

by Ronald

Subject: Bcm4311 shuts down on closing lid (intended?)

Hi,

The b43 driver in the linux kernel 2.6.24-rc7 works really good :) .
Keep it up! However, one thing is bugging me: Why does the card stop
sending/receiving packets when I close the lid? Is this behaviour
intended in the new driver? If yes, can I disable it?

Kind regards, Ronald

P.S. I have a broadcom 4311 with an unpatched kernel running Fedora 8

2008-01-11 14:47:21

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: Bcm4311 shuts down on closing lid (intended?)

> So that means the other drivers (bcm43xx and ndiswrapper) provided
> enough signal strength to keep the wireless going even when it was
> horizontal?

Hm, ok, that is a bit odd, I wouldn't have expected bcm43xx to do that.
Are you sure you're testing in the same place with the same distance to
the AP etc?

> P.S. I want to add my wireless card to the list (of working cards) (it's
> not dell). How can I do this?

You can't edit the global list, only the per-driver list, for that you
need to sign up to the wiki and log in.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2008-01-12 09:20:31

by Ronald

>> I'm not quite sure anymore about the bcm43xx behaviour. But I'm sure of
>> ndiswrapper. Need to test bcm43xx?
>
> Ok, well, I'd expect it to be the signal strength then. The original
> driver may well be doing better than b43 for obvious reasons.
>
> johannes
Good point, the old driver is more stable. But both ndiswrapper and
bcm43xx fail to initiate WPA2 connections.

Ronald

2008-01-11 20:14:24

by Ronald

>> >Nope, it doesn't go into suspend. With the old driver, I could close
>> >the lid and for example SSH into it. Now, that is not possible. I
>> tried >it with a radio station. It stops playing after a while once I
>> close >the lid.... . The only thing that changes is that the screen
>> light >shuts down (but not the card! it worked before when closing the
>> >screen!)
>
> I'm pretty sure there are no lid related routines in the wireless
> driver, though. ;) So the problem must be somewhere else.

Weird >.< I recompiled the kernel with the latest git patch (rc7-git3)
and it seems fixed. I only removed nl80211 from the configuration. I
will chech later if this makes the difference....

Ronald

2008-01-11 12:03:09

by Johannes Berg

> The b43 driver in the linux kernel 2.6.24-rc7 works really good :) .
> Keep it up! However, one thing is bugging me: Why does the card stop
> sending/receiving packets when I close the lid? Is this behaviour
> intended in the new driver? If yes, can I disable it?

We had this before. You're wrong, the software isn't shut down. But the
antenna in your laptop is in the screen so you're moving it from upright
to horizontal which makes your signal strength drop enough to not work
any more.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2008-01-11 13:22:39

by Ronald

>> The b43 driver in the linux kernel 2.6.24-rc7 works really good :) .
>> Keep it up! However, one thing is bugging me: Why does the card stop
>> sending/receiving packets when I close the lid? Is this behaviour
>> intended in the new driver? If yes, can I disable it?
>
> We had this before. You're wrong, the software isn't shut down. But the
> antenna in your laptop is in the screen so you're moving it from upright
> to horizontal which makes your signal strength drop enough to not work
> any more.
>
> johannes
So that means the other drivers (bcm43xx and ndiswrapper) provided
enough signal strength to keep the wireless going even when it was
horizontal?

Ronald

P.S. I want to add my wireless card to the list (of working cards) (it's
not dell). How can I do this?

2008-01-11 05:50:03

by Ronald

>> On Thursday 10 January 2008 20:20:06 Ronald wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The b43 driver in the linux kernel 2.6.24-rc7 works really good :) .
>>> Keep it up! However, one thing is bugging me: Why does the card stop
>>> sending/receiving packets when I close the lid? Is this behaviour
>>> intended in the new driver? If yes, can I disable it?
>>
>> I guess the machine goes to suspend, right?
>> You obviously can't use the machine when it's suspended.
>>
>Nope, it doesn't go into suspend. With the old driver, I could close
>the lid and for example SSH into it. Now, that is not possible. I
tried >it with a radio station. It stops playing after a while once I
close >the lid.... . The only thing that changes is that the screen
light >shuts down (but not the card! it worked before when closing the
>screen!)
> Ronald

2008-01-11 15:17:07

by Ronald

>> So that means the other drivers (bcm43xx and ndiswrapper) provided
>> enough signal strength to keep the wireless going even when it was
>> horizontal?
>
> Hm, ok, that is a bit odd, I wouldn't have expected bcm43xx to do that.
> Are you sure you're testing in the same place with the same distance to
> the AP etc?

I'm not quite sure anymore about the bcm43xx behaviour. But I'm sure of
ndiswrapper. Need to test bcm43xx?

>> P.S. I want to add my wireless card to the list (of working cards) (it's
>> not dell). How can I do this?
>
> You can't edit the global list, only the per-driver list, for that you
> need to sign up to the wiki and log in.
>
> johannes

2008-01-10 19:29:35

by Michael Büsch

--
Greetings Michael.

2008-01-11 15:29:26

by Michael Büsch

> >> I guess the machine goes to suspend, right?
> >> You obviously can't use the machine when it's suspended.
> >>
> >Nope, it doesn't go into suspend. With the old driver, I could close
> >the lid and for example SSH into it. Now, that is not possible. I
> tried >it with a radio station. It stops playing after a while once I
> close >the lid.... . The only thing that changes is that the screen
> light >shuts down (but not the card! it worked before when closing the
> >screen!)

I'm pretty sure there are no lid related routines in the wireless
driver, though. ;) So the problem must be somewhere else.

--
Greetings Michael.

2008-01-11 21:47:33

by Johannes Berg