2008-02-16 00:52:57

by Antonio Quartulli

Subject: iwlwifi

2008-02-19 22:21:38

by Reinette Chatre

Subject: RE: iwlwifi

On , Antonio Quartulli wrote:

> Why is iwlwifi still at version 1.2.23?
> Is there some problem with it?

I assume you are referring to the out of tree driver available from
intellinuxwireless.org.

iwlwifi has been included in the kernel since 2.6.24, for this reason
development has shifted to focus on upstream. The repository at
intellinuxwireless.org has not been receiving changes since release of
1.2.23 - all changes go directly upstream. You can use the latest
upstream driver by utilizing the compat-wireless project
(http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download). Currently the upstream
driver also has version number 1.2.23 - even tough it received
significant changes since the out of tree release of 1.2.23. To reduce
this confusion we did send a version update to the development tree
(making the in kernel iwlwifi be version 1.2.26), this change is still
to be applied.

Version numbering does make less sense now that we are in the kernel ...
please be assured that you are using the latest driver when you are
using the compat-wireless project.

Reinette

2009-12-24 05:46:10

by Zhu Yi

On Thu, 2009-12-24 at 13:08 +0800, David Miller wrote:

> Someone please expediently fix whatever it is that makes the iwlwifi
> drivers rebuild every single time I type make.
>
> It's a real intense pain when I have an 'allmodconfig' tree for build
> validations, I pull some unrelated changed into the tree, and I see
> iwlwifi rebuild no matter what.
>
> This is not sane behavior.

I'm trying allmodconfig on wireless-testing now. It takes some time to
finish make. But a simple running "make M=drivers/net/wireless/" twice
doesn't show this issue.

Thanks,
-yi

2009-12-24 06:24:58

by Zhu Yi

On Thu, 2009-12-24 at 13:52 +0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: Zhu Yi <[email protected]>
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 13:46:07 +0800
>
> > I'm trying allmodconfig on wireless-testing now. It takes some time to
> > finish make. But a simple running "make M=drivers/net/wireless/" twice
> > doesn't show this issue.
> >

> It's the include of generated/utsrelease.h by iwl-core.h that causes
> the rebuild.

Thanks. It was first introduced by below commit. And was later changed
to use generated/utsrelease.h. I'm wondering if we should really use
linux/utsrelease.h (or linux/version.h) or remove the kernel version
totally from the driver version (driver compile tag can be remained).
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-yi

commit 900bb717424e5df12b1ef7ebb017be2a8915b806