2008-03-03 15:40:47

by Helge Hafting

Subject: Problems with iwl3945, hard to connect to encrypted networks

I have a Dell830 that uses the 3945 driver.
I have tried kernels 2.6.23, 2.6.24 and 2.6.35-rc3.

Unencrypted networks seems to work well,
I usually connect on first try.

Encrypted networks are harder. They work fine
once I get connected, but I have to try
very many times before the connection works.

I bring up the interface using
ifconfig wlan0 up
and configure it with
iwconfig wlan0 essid SSID key s:password

If I run iwconfig first, I usually get something
like this in the dmesg log:
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

If I run iwconfig after ifconfig, I get:
wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:14:1b:5a:13:40
wlan0: privacy configuration mismatch and mixed-cell disabled - disassociate
wlan0: RX authentication from 00:14:1b:5a:13:40 (alg=0 transaction=2
status=0)
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: associate with AP 00:14:1b:5a:13:40
wlan0: mismatch in privacy configuration and mixed-cell disabled - abort
association
wlan0: RX deauthenticaion from 00:14:1b:5a:13:40 (reason=2)
wlan0: deauthenticated

Try fifty times - and sometimes it just works. Most of the time I get
this exact failure. The same happens with other access points that uses
encryption. Retrying manually is tedious though.

I compiled the kernels myself using gcc-4.2.3 from debian.
The kernel is 64-bit and SMP, to take full advantage of
the core2duo processor.

Helge Hafting

2008-03-04 10:21:06

by Johannes Berg

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 10:11 +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
> Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> > try using the iwlwifi module in the compat-wireless-2.6
> > It seems to work very well here.
> > In past, I got same problem with kernel module.

> Thank you for the tip!
> I'll try the compat-wireless-2.6 driver.
> I wonder though - if a beter driver exists,
> why isn't it pushed into the latest kernel also?

compat is taken *from* the latest kernel.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2008-03-04 09:17:07

by Helge Hafting

Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> try using the iwlwifi module in the compat-wireless-2.6
> It seems to work very well here.
> In past, I got same problem with kernel module.
Thank you for the tip!
I'll try the compat-wireless-2.6 driver.
I wonder though - if a beter driver exists,
why isn't it pushed into the latest kernel also?

Helge Hafting

2008-03-03 15:46:33

by Antonio Quartulli

Helge Hafting ha scritto:
> I have a Dell830 that uses the 3945 driver.
> I have tried kernels 2.6.23, 2.6.24 and 2.6.35-rc3.
>
> Unencrypted networks seems to work well,
> I usually connect on first try.
>
> Encrypted networks are harder. They work fine
> once I get connected, but I have to try
> very many times before the connection works.
>
> I bring up the interface using
> ifconfig wlan0 up
> and configure it with
> iwconfig wlan0 essid SSID key s:password
>
> If I run iwconfig first, I usually get something
> like this in the dmesg log:
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
>
> If I run iwconfig after ifconfig, I get:
> wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:14:1b:5a:13:40
> wlan0: privacy configuration mismatch and mixed-cell disabled -
> disassociate
> wlan0: RX authentication from 00:14:1b:5a:13:40 (alg=0 transaction=2
> status=0)
> wlan0: authenticated
> wlan0: associate with AP 00:14:1b:5a:13:40
> wlan0: mismatch in privacy configuration and mixed-cell disabled - abort
> association
> wlan0: RX deauthenticaion from 00:14:1b:5a:13:40 (reason=2)
> wlan0: deauthenticated
>

> Try fifty times - and sometimes it just works. Most of the time I get
> this exact failure. The same happens with other access points that uses
> encryption. Retrying manually is tedious though.
>
> I compiled the kernels myself using gcc-4.2.3 from debian.
> The kernel is 64-bit and SMP, to take full advantage of
> the core2duo processor.
>

> Helge Hafting

> linux-wireless" in

Antonio Quartulli,
Student of Computer Science at University of Pisa
Web: http://www.quartulli.org

2008-03-05 12:09:06

by Helge Hafting

> compat is taken *from* the latest kernel.

I see. No need to try it then, as I download the
latest rc kernels anyway. 2.6.25-rc4 has not improved.

Helge Hafting

2008-03-05 12:22:26

by Johannes Berg

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 13:03 +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
> > compat is taken *from* the latest kernel.
>
> I see. No need to try it then, as I download the
> latest rc kernels anyway. 2.6.25-rc4 has not improved.

No, actually, compat is from the wireless kernels, not mainline.