2008-03-05 12:21:01

by Helge Hafting

Subject: iwl3945 associated and _worked_ with a *wrong* essid!

I recently wrote about my iwl3945 problems - I usually
have to try 20-50 times before I can use a wep-encrypted access point.
Once the link goes up - no more problems. But getting the first
connection takes time.

Yesterday something weird happened.
I run the same iwconfig command over and over. Then a wild guess:
Perhaps the driver or linux is clever enough to see that I
just set the same essid and key as last time, and optimize the
operation away completely? I have no idea if this actually happens,
but I changed the essid (added a few garbage characters)
in order to force a difference. I was about to run iwconfig again
with the correct essid, when I noticed that the link was up!

An "iwconfig" without parameters showed that the PC indeed
had associated to the usual access point, and the essid was wrong one
indeed.
I then ran "dhclient", got an IP address, and used my home network
for a few hours. No problems, but the essid was wrong all the time.

I thought this ought to be impossible - so I can only guess that
the essid is stored in several places - one place used by "iwconfig"
to display the current essid, and somewhere else used to program
the radio. And the latter place is not necessarily updated when
"iwconfig essid <something>" is run - and therefore the link
worked anyway. This could possibly explain why things fail
so much - perhaps the essid is set correctly only occationally?

Kernel: 2.6.25-rc3, SMP 64-bit. Other sw from debian testing.

Helge Hafting

2008-03-09 11:52:13

by Helge Hafting

Anders Eriksson wrote:
>> I recently wrote about my iwl3945 problems - I usually
>> have to try 20-50 times before I can use a wep-encrypted access point.
>> Once the link goes up - no more problems. But getting the first
>> connection takes time.
>>

> I can testify that I have the same issue with w2k. I'm not sure how intel
> wired up their drivers package, but I usually have to wait about 1-2 minutes
> to get _any_ package back from the AP (judging from the network icon). Once I
> get the first package back (I'd guess it's a dhcp resp), i can start using the
> network.

The linux driver (with the siwessid/siwencode patch) is better than that
now.
It may connect at first try, always at the second or third try. 3 tries only
takes a few seconds. So it is possible to get this right. Hopefully it
can be fixed
further, to always work at first try.

Helge Hafting

2008-03-08 11:05:22

by Anders Eriksson

> I recently wrote about my iwl3945 problems - I usually
> have to try 20-50 times before I can use a wep-encrypted access point.
> Once the link goes up - no more problems. But getting the first
> connection takes time.

I can testify that I have the same issue with w2k. I'm not sure how intel
wired up their drivers package, but I usually have to wait about 1-2 minutes
to get _any_ package back from the AP (judging from the network icon). Once I
get the first package back (I'd guess it's a dhcp resp), i can start using the
network.

I once picked up somehwere that this wa an issue with wither this intel chip
of the broadcom chip I have in the Linksys AP. Either one of them was picky
on the nitial handshake and the speed/rate used for that handshake. Waiting a
while both ends agree to do it at 1Mbps or something and it all works from
there.

hth,
/Anders

2008-03-05 15:49:37

by Tomas Winkler

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Helge Hafting
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I recently wrote about my iwl3945 problems - I usually
> have to try 20-50 times before I can use a wep-encrypted access point.
> Once the link goes up - no more problems. But getting the first
> connection takes time.
>
> Yesterday something weird happened.
> I run the same iwconfig command over and over. Then a wild guess:
> Perhaps the driver or linux is clever enough to see that I
> just set the same essid and key as last time, and optimize the
> operation away completely? I have no idea if this actually happens,
> but I changed the essid (added a few garbage characters)
> in order to force a difference. I was about to run iwconfig again
> with the correct essid, when I noticed that the link was up!
>
> An "iwconfig" without parameters showed that the PC indeed
> had associated to the usual access point, and the essid was wrong one
> indeed.
> I then ran "dhclient", got an IP address, and used my home network
> for a few hours. No problems, but the essid was wrong all the time.
>
> I thought this ought to be impossible - so I can only guess that
> the essid is stored in several places - one place used by "iwconfig"
> to display the current essid, and somewhere else used to program
> the radio. And the latter place is not necessarily updated when
> "iwconfig essid <something>" is run - and therefore the link
> worked anyway. This could possibly explain why things fail
> so much - perhaps the essid is set correctly only occationally?
>
> Kernel: 2.6.25-rc3, SMP 64-bit. Other sw from debian testing.
>
> Helge Hafting

I've seen some problems with avahi-daemon intercepting wrong SSID
during association
I didn't root caused the problem yet. I'm using Fedora 8 now.

When I've commented the auto selection out
(IEEE80211_STA_AUTO_SSID_SEL) it performed better

Yet I also didin't root caused the problem yet.