2008-04-02 15:30:06

by Luca Venturini

Subject: Re: New IWL4935 driver for Intel Wireless Cards does not support WPA2 wireless network with PEAP - MSCHAPV2

(I hope I am not making again something rude posting here, and if this
is the case, I apologize; I am sorry, but this is the first time ever I
write directly to Linux developers, and I am unsure of how to behave.)

I thank everybody for your help and understanding. I will try to contact
Ubuntu developers and ask about current situation for this issue. In the
meantime, Filippo Zangheri of the Linux team was so kind as to give me
detailed instructions on how to install the latest modules for intel
wireless cards, so hopefully I will patch the problem well enough so to
actually update my box...and see if developers have indeed addressed the
problem in the meantime.

Thank you again, and keep up the awesome work!

Luca Venturini

Brian Morrison ha scritto:
> Luca Venturini wrote:
>> I hope, then, that Linux 2.6.25.x stable will be out sooner than 24th
>> april (Hardy release date) otherwise I (and I guess also many other
>> people) will be in a very bad spot until the kernel is updated...(I
>> am not proficient enough so to compile a whole Linux kernel for my
>> distro).
>
> I don't know about the Ubuntu situation, but in Fedora the current
> 2.6.24.x series kernels work just fine with the iwlwifi driver and
> 3945 and 4965 chipset firmware. Much of the 2.6.25 wireless changes
> are already in the Fedora kernels (that's where a lot of testing
> happens) and there is no reason that the Ubuntu maintainers cannot do
> the same thing. Testing of these changes and discussion of same occurs
> on the linux-wireless list, if you're seeing problems this is a good
> place to ask for help. I don't use PEAP with MSCHAPV2 myself, but I
> did see something on the NetworkManager mailing list from Bill Moss at
> Clemson University who has got some sort of certificate authentication
> working under Fedora (might be PEAP), you can probably find his post
> with help from Google.
>
> I'd suggest asking the Ubuntu team what the status is for this issue
> and if they have any test kernels to try. The kernel ML is not a good
> place since they are concerned with the vanilla release and not with
> any distro specific changes. Linux wireless is under heavy development
> and 2.6.25 vanilla is the first release where anything like working
> code will appear from Linus, but the same code has been in the distros
> fro some time as they need to provide people with a working environment.
>
> HTH :)

2008-04-02 16:27:39

by Filippo Zangheri