2008-04-14 15:38:57

by C. McPherson

Subject: mac80211 question

Are there any plans to include the nickname into mac80211? I noticed
that the version I have the ioctl's for nickname are
NULL'ed out.

Thanks in advance
Tex

2008-04-15 13:22:14

by Michael Büsch

Subject: Re: mac80211 question

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 15:13:27 Dad wrote:
> Our tech support people use it - to distinguish which wireless is for
> which work group.
> You see, we have servers with multiple wireless's and depending on the
> work group and
> location, the nickname aids the tech support people to identify what
> wireless a person is
> using. That is the only reason why we use it. Right now I have created
> code for those IOCTL's,
> so if mac80211 doesn't have it, we can just implement it on our servers.

Why don't you do that wireless-interface to whatever mapping in userspace?

--
Greetings Michael.

2008-04-15 13:13:39

by C. McPherson

Our tech support people use it - to distinguish which wireless is for
which work group.
You see, we have servers with multiple wireless's and depending on the
work group and
location, the nickname aids the tech support people to identify what
wireless a person is
using. That is the only reason why we use it. Right now I have created
code for those IOCTL's,
so if mac80211 doesn't have it, we can just implement it on our servers.

-Tex

> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 11:38 -0400, Dad wrote:
>
>> Are there any plans to include the nickname into mac80211? I noticed
>> that the version I have the ioctl's for nickname are
>> NULL'ed out.
>>

> Any particular reason you want nickname? AFAIK it was only used for
> compat with pre-802.11 stuff like WaveLAN and such. It's pretty much
> useless these days. Some drivers used it to signal whether they were
> connected or not, but that's a completely bogus use of nickname and not
> something that mac80211 should support.
>
> Dan

2008-04-14 15:57:38

by Dan Williams

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 11:38 -0400, Dad wrote:
> Are there any plans to include the nickname into mac80211? I noticed
> that the version I have the ioctl's for nickname are
> NULL'ed out.

Any particular reason you want nickname? AFAIK it was only used for
compat with pre-802.11 stuff like WaveLAN and such. It's pretty much
useless these days. Some drivers used it to signal whether they were
connected or not, but that's a completely bogus use of nickname and not
something that mac80211 should support.

Dan

2008-04-15 21:01:39

by C. McPherson