2008-05-04 17:50:08

by ael

Subject: iw: NL80211_IFTYPE_MESH_POINT not defined

I am not sure that this is the right place to ask, but I am trying to
compile iw and get

interface.c: In function 'get_if_type':
interface.c:50: error: 'NL80211_IFTYPE_MESH_POINT' undeclared (first use
in this function)

I guess that this should be defined in /usr/include/linux/nl80211.h but
it is not present there nor in nl80211.h in kernel 2.6.25.1 which I have
installed.

I checked out iw from http://git.sipsolutions.net/iw.git

I see NL80211_IFTYPE_MESH_POINT appearing in patches on this list so I
guess it is present in development trees.

I am just trying to get a usb-wifi device running with 2.6.25.x where
the driver has moved to mac80211. iwconfig appears to work no longer and
I found documentation to the effect that iw was required instead. Hence
my attempts to compile it.

Could someone with a moment to spare either point me to some
documentation or a solution? Perhaps iw is not intended for use with
2.6.25.x and the problems with iwconfig lie elsewhere?

A Lawrence

2008-05-04 19:51:08

by ael

Subject: Re: iw: NL80211_IFTYPE_MESH_POINT not defined

Johannes Berg wrote:
>> interface.c: In function 'get_if_type':
>> interface.c:50: error: 'NL80211_IFTYPE_MESH_POINT' undeclared (first use
>> in this function)
>>
>> I guess that this should be defined in /usr/include/linux/nl80211.h but
>> it is not present there nor in nl80211.h in kernel 2.6.25.1 which I have
>> installed.
>
> You'll need the header from the wireless-testing git tree, if you really
> want iw.
>
>> I am just trying to get a usb-wifi device running with 2.6.25.x where
>> the driver has moved to mac80211. iwconfig appears to work no longer and
>> I found documentation to the effect that iw was required instead. Hence
>> my attempts to compile it.
>
> iwconfig will definitely work, in fact, iw right now has totally
> orthogonal functionality.

Thanks very much for the reply. I conclude then that the problems that I
am having are more likely to be with the driver (zd1211rw) or some
configuration that needs changing to match the new version. I will
investigate further and probably report to the zd1211 list if that is
really the problem.

A Lawrence

2008-05-04 17:55:43

by Johannes Berg

> interface.c: In function 'get_if_type':
> interface.c:50: error: 'NL80211_IFTYPE_MESH_POINT' undeclared (first use
> in this function)
>
> I guess that this should be defined in /usr/include/linux/nl80211.h but
> it is not present there nor in nl80211.h in kernel 2.6.25.1 which I have
> installed.

You'll need the header from the wireless-testing git tree, if you really
want iw.

> I am just trying to get a usb-wifi device running with 2.6.25.x where
> the driver has moved to mac80211. iwconfig appears to work no longer and
> I found documentation to the effect that iw was required instead. Hence
> my attempts to compile it.

iwconfig will definitely work, in fact, iw right now has totally
orthogonal functionality.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)