2008-05-14 00:59:13

by John Daiker

Subject: First patch to mrv8k driver?

Hey All,

My first patch for the mrv8k driver. My machine locks up when I try to
load a firmware, so I'm not sure if this patch helps anybody or not.

John Daiker

Attachments:
formatting.diff (2.14 kB)

2008-05-14 17:56:27

by John Daiker

Subject: Re: First patch to mrv8k driver?

Markus Becker wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2008, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 17:59 -0700, John Daiker wrote:
>>> Hey All,
>>>
>>> My first patch for the mrv8k driver. My machine locks up when I try to
>>> load a firmware, so I'm not sure if this patch helps anybody or not.
>>
>> I don't see any changes for mrv_reg_read32() claimed in the description.
>
> He is checking the return value to 0x5 instead of 5.
Right... the aim here is for some sort of code consistency. Makes
things easier to read, IMHO.

>> In fact, I don't see any changes to the code except comments and
>> messages. I don't see how it can help against lockups, unless you
>> missed some part of the patch.
>
> It does not. But I pushed the comment and indent fixes to mrv8k
> nevertheless.
Thanks. I guess I mentioned that to solicit input from others on ideas
for debugging.

>> You may want to spell check your patch, including the description,
>> especially if the patch is fixing spelling mistakes made by others.
Duly noted. I will keep an keen eye out next time for mistakes. :)

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Pavel Roskin
>> --
>> linux-wireless" in
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

by Johannes Berg

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 15:08 +0200, Markus Becker wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2008, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 17:59 -0700, John Daiker wrote:
> >> Hey All,
> >>
> >> My first patch for the mrv8k driver. My machine locks up when I try to
> >> load a firmware, so I'm not sure if this patch helps anybody or not.
> >
> > I don't see any changes for mrv_reg_read32() claimed in the description.
>
> He is checking the return value to 0x5 instead of 5.

You realise, of course, that those are the same number?

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2008-05-14 04:37:39

by Pavel Roskin

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 17:59 -0700, John Daiker wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> My first patch for the mrv8k driver. My machine locks up when I try to
> load a firmware, so I'm not sure if this patch helps anybody or not.

I don't see any changes for mrv_reg_read32() claimed in the description.
In fact, I don't see any changes to the code except comments and
messages. I don't see how it can help against lockups, unless you
missed some part of the patch.

You may want to spell check your patch, including the description,
especially if the patch is fixing spelling mistakes made by others.

Pavel Roskin

2008-05-14 13:08:15

by Markus Becker