2008-06-18 08:15:21

by Michael Leun

Subject: compat wireless, i3945, tcpdump: Machine freezes

Hello,

I downloaded compat-wireless-2008-06-18, built it, loaded cfg80211.ko,
mac80211.ko, iwl3945.ko, associated to an ap, started "tcpdump -i wlan0
-n" and the machine mostly freezed.

Mostly means keyboard does not work, no disk-access, no network but
mouse still works.

This is reproducable, freeze happens instantly after starting tcpdump
(if a ping runs while I start tcpdump I see one Packet in the output of
tcpdump, then machine is frozen).

I've had that with some older versions of compat-wireless also.

I've a Thinkpad Z61m.

--
MfG,

Michael Leun

2008-06-26 01:03:12

by Zhu Yi

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 15:43 +0200, [email protected] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:42:13 +0200
> Michael Leun <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I downloaded compat-wireless-2008-06-18, built it, loaded cfg80211.ko,
> > mac80211.ko, iwl3945.ko, associated to an ap, started "tcpdump -i
> > wlan0 -n" and the machine mostly freezed.
> >
> > Mostly means keyboard does not work, no disk-access, no network but
> > mouse still works.
> [...]
>
> This still happens with compat-wireless-2008-06-25.

We have a fix patch here. Will submit to linux-wireless after some
tweak.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.ipw3945.devel/3166

Thanks,
-yi

2008-06-18 09:46:20

by Filippo Zangheri

2008-06-27 18:05:11

by Michael Leun

Hello,

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:02:12 +0800
Zhu Yi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I downloaded compat-wireless-2008-06-18, built it, loaded
> > > cfg80211.ko, mac80211.ko, iwl3945.ko, associated to an ap,
> > > started "tcpdump -i wlan0 -n" and the machine mostly freezed.
> > >
> > > Mostly means keyboard does not work, no disk-access, no network
> > > but mouse still works.
> > This still happens with compat-wireless-2008-06-25.
>
> We have a fix patch here. Will submit to linux-wireless after some
> tweak.
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.ipw3945.devel/3166

Yup, that works - does not freeze anymore. But when switching
promiscuous on it reassociates and there is a network outage of several
seconds.

Thanks!

--
Bye,

Michael Leun

2008-06-25 13:44:08

by Michael Leun

Hello,

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:42:13 +0200
Michael Leun <[email protected]> wrote:

> I downloaded compat-wireless-2008-06-18, built it, loaded cfg80211.ko,
> mac80211.ko, iwl3945.ko, associated to an ap, started "tcpdump -i
> wlan0 -n" and the machine mostly freezed.
>
> Mostly means keyboard does not work, no disk-access, no network but
> mouse still works.
[...]