2008-06-27 06:02:13

by Iwo Mergler

Subject: mac80211: Question about beacons

Hi,

I'm trying to debug the AP mode of the rt73usb driver. It works OK,
as far as I can tell, but there are no beacons in the air. Not even garbled
packets. The AP is happy to respond to SSID broadcast requests though.

Now, when starting hostapd, the driver gets three rt73usb_beacon_update()
calls (struct ieee80211_ops ->beacon_update()). The SKBs passed in are
identical IEEE802.11 beacon packets, with the sequence numbers 0, 1 and 2.

I believe the hardware is supposed to be auto-beaconing.

Here is the question: why three calls? I would have expected a single
call for
such a device.

Kind regards,

Iwo

2008-06-27 06:36:07

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: mac80211: Question about beacons

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 15:57 +1000, Iwo Mergler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to debug the AP mode of the rt73usb driver. It works OK,
> as far as I can tell, but there are no beacons in the air. Not even garbled
> packets. The AP is happy to respond to SSID broadcast requests though.
>
> Now, when starting hostapd, the driver gets three rt73usb_beacon_update()
> calls (struct ieee80211_ops ->beacon_update()). The SKBs passed in are
> identical IEEE802.11 beacon packets, with the sequence numbers 0, 1 and 2.
>
> I believe the hardware is supposed to be auto-beaconing.
>
> Here is the question: why three calls? I would have expected a single
> call for
> such a device.

That's because hostapd sets various parameters and the beacon changes
every time. Don't worry about it.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (836.00 B)