2008-08-11 17:30:01

by Maxim Levitsky

Subject: Few questions about the wireless stack

Hi,

I am trying to understand the relationship between
wireless interfaces (wlan0, mon0,..) and wireless driver.

The most important question I am after, is what types of interfaces I can
run simultaneously?
(I know that I can run station and monitor, but what are other combinations ?)

I noticed that in monitor mode iwl3945 appends so called
'radiotap' header to received packets, but
it seems that mac80211 strips this header, and appends its own,
for monitor interfaces, if so, then why to append it?

And lastly, when you expect AP code to be released?

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky

2008-08-18 08:17:07

by Tomas Winkler

Subject: Re: [ipw3945-devel] Few questions about the wireless stack

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Russell Senior <[email protected]> wrote:

> Russell> FWIW, the PC Engines Alix.6* boards has or will include a
> Russell> miniPCI express slot.
>
> Russell> http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm
>
> Russell> As someone building stuff from these and similar boards, I
> Russell> appreciate having options.
>
> Tomas> 3945 runs on mini PCIe ___wx__ bus not regular miniPCIe. There
> Tomas> is no real problem that 3945 will run in AP/master mode I just
> Tomas> don't think than anyone will make embedded device from it.
>
> Okay. I have no idea what difference there is between wx bus and
> regular mini PCI express.

wx runs of 1/3 of frequency of regular pcie bus. It was one time
adventure and further product uses regular pcie bus.
Tomas

2008-08-13 03:37:30

by Maxim Levitsky

Ian Schram wrote:

> Maxim Levitsky wrote:
>> Maxim Levitsky wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to understand the relationship between
>>> wireless interfaces (wlan0, mon0,..) and wireless driver.
>>>
>>> The most important question I am after, is what types of interfaces I
>>> can
>>> run simultaneously? (I know that I can run station and monitor, but
>>> what are other combinations ?)
>>>
>>> I noticed that in monitor mode iwl3945 appends so called 'radiotap'
>>> header to received packets, but
>>> it seems that mac80211 strips this header, and appends its own,
>>> for monitor interfaces, if so, then why to append it?
>>>

>>> And lastly, when you expect AP code to be released?
>>>

>> I would be glad to hear about this, I have absolutely no free time to
>> dig that out.
>>

> Last i can remember about the subject was Tomas
> some months ago.
>
> iirc the statement was something similar to:
> - 3945 is a mini PCIe card, and hence not deployed in embedded? devices,
> therefore master mode support isn't planned for 3945
> - patches are welcome
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.drivers.ipw3945.devel/2007-11/threads.html#00177
>
> cheers
>>
>> Maxim Levitsky
>> --
>> linux-wireless" in
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

What do we need from the hardware to enable master mode?

I think that the best solution is to unite 3945 and rest of the driver code,
since it is all the same.

You say that 4965 is pci express. does that mean I can buy a standalone version of it?

Regards,
Maxim Levitsky

2008-08-12 21:54:45

by Maxim Levitsky

Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to understand the relationship between
> wireless interfaces (wlan0, mon0,..) and wireless driver.
>
> The most important question I am after, is what types of interfaces I can
> run simultaneously?
> (I know that I can run station and monitor, but what are other combinations ?)
>
> I noticed that in monitor mode iwl3945 appends so called
> 'radiotap' header to received packets, but
> it seems that mac80211 strips this header, and appends its own,
> for monitor interfaces, if so, then why to append it?
>

> And lastly, when you expect AP code to be released?

I would be glad to hear about this, I have absolutely no free time to dig that out.

Maxim Levitsky

2008-08-18 07:32:33

by Russell Senior

Ian> Last i can remember about the subject was Tomas some months ago.

Ian> iirc the statement was something similar to: - 3945 is a mini
Ian> PCIe card, and hence not deployed in embedded? devices, therefore
Ian> master mode support isn't planned for 3945 - patches are welcome

FWIW, the PC Engines Alix.6* boards has or will include a miniPCI
express slot.

http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm

As someone building stuff from these and similar boards, I appreciate
having options.

--
Russell Senior ``I have nine fingers; you have ten.''

by Ian Schram

Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> Maxim Levitsky wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to understand the relationship between
>> wireless interfaces (wlan0, mon0,..) and wireless driver.
>>
>> The most important question I am after, is what types of interfaces I can
>> run simultaneously? (I know that I can run station and monitor, but
>> what are other combinations ?)
>>
>> I noticed that in monitor mode iwl3945 appends so called 'radiotap'
>> header to received packets, but
>> it seems that mac80211 strips this header, and appends its own,
>> for monitor interfaces, if so, then why to append it?
>>

>> And lastly, when you expect AP code to be released?
>>

> I would be glad to hear about this, I have absolutely no free time to
> dig that out.

Last i can remember about the subject was Tomas
some months ago.

iirc the statement was something similar to:
- 3945 is a mini PCIe card, and hence not deployed in embedded? devices,
therefore master mode support isn't planned for 3945
- patches are welcome

http://osdir.com/ml/linux.drivers.ipw3945.devel/2007-11/threads.html#00177

cheers

> Maxim Levitsky
> linux-wireless" in

by Russell Senior

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Russell Senior <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ian> Last i can remember about the subject was Tomas some months ago.
>
> Ian> iirc the statement was something similar to: - 3945 is a mini
> Ian> PCIe card, and hence not deployed in embedded? devices, therefore
> Ian> master mode support isn't planned for 3945 - patches are welcome
>
> FWIW, the PC Engines Alix.6* boards has or will include a miniPCI
> express slot.
>
> http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm
>
> As someone building stuff from these and similar boards, I appreciate
> having options.

3945 runs on mini PCIe ___wx__ bus not regular miniPCIe. There is no
real problem that 3945 will run in AP/master mode I just don't think