2008-10-04 08:32:08

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: Trendnet TEW-424UB now Realtek 8187B

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 18:15 -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> The Trendnet TEW-424B is now version 3.1R, and contains a RealTek
> 8187B ( lsusb 0bda:8189 ) rather than the Zydas ZD1211RW .
> So it should leave the list.

Ugly. Should we have both on there maybe with a version number? Daniel?
We can list the other one for rtl8187b too.

> I've ordered two more USB wireless devices from other sources.
> They claim to use Zydas chip sets. One claims ZD1211B ; I hope
> that works with the driver. I will let you know if they work.

Great, thanks.

> I also hope that someone will make a version of the Realtek driver
> that works properly with Network Manager, and backport it to the
> 2.6.24 (Ubuntu 8.04 and others) kernel. Who should I encourage?

Uh, that's unlikely to happen, unless compat-old (see the Download page
on the wiki) works on that kernel.

> A friend of mine owns the small company Invictus Networks, which
> specializes in wifi hardware. He helps us provide free community
> wireless networking in Portland Oregon USA ( http://www.personaltelco.net ).
> Perhaps I can advise him on Linux compatable models of Wireless
> USB devices. Then we can keep him up to date on devices and
> chipsets, and buy from him. Can you suggest some companies and
> model numbers known to have Linux compatable chipsets in the
> products that are for sale now? Perhaps you can set up part of
> your wiki for people to report recent successes (with dates, so
> we can see how old the information is).

I'm not sure how we'd keep that information usable, I think we should
rather try to maintain the list maybe with device versions?

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (836.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2008-10-04 08:47:43

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 1:32 AM, Johannes Berg <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 18:15 -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

>> I also hope that someone will make a version of the Realtek driver
>> that works properly with Network Manager, and backport it to the
>> 2.6.24 (Ubuntu 8.04 and others) kernel. Who should I encourage?
>
> Uh, that's unlikely to happen, unless compat-old (see the Download page
> on the wiki) works on that kernel.

What Realtek driver? Just FYI rtl8187 does *not* claim the RTL8187B. See:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl8187

Luis

2008-10-04 22:30:26

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Saturday 04 October 2008 10:07:08 Stefanik G=E1bor wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Johannes Berg
>>
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Oh, I thought there was a version now that did.
>> >
>> > johannes
>>
>> Hin-Tak Leung added support for RTL8187B a while ago, although it's
>> still a bit buggy. Likely someone forgot to update the rtl8187 page =
on
>> the wiki. CCing Hin-Tak and Herton.
>
> I created an account there now and did a minimal update on the page, =
please
> take a look. There are some things we need to improve in the driver, =
we
> received also an updated driver and a minimal datasheet but unfortuna=
tely
> from my part I didn't had much success and time in playing/learning t=
> improve its support.

Yes, rtl8187B is in recent kernel; it is still a bit buggy but the two
external links - cuervo's link to an old version of the vendor driver
ported forward and there is a newer vendor driver, but neither
supports the latest kernel - and that's not entirely bug-free either;
there has not been much activities at the sourceforge link, so that's
really just for reference.

I would say add these two pieces of information:

- it is known that rate-control doesn't quite work with either rtl8187
or rtl8187b. "iwconfig rate <somerate> fixed" may work better under
some circumstances.

- we don't support rtl8187B with a product id 0x8198 (in some very new
toshiba laptops) yet. It seems the vendor driver works to extent, but
report against the community driver (by adding the id) has been
inconclusive.

2008-10-04 15:16:30

by Larry Finger

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 01:47 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> What Realtek driver? Just FYI rtl8187 does *not* claim the RTL8187B. See:
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl8187
>
> Oh, I thought there was a version now that did.

There is. Both Linus's tree and wireless-testing support the 8187B. In
fact, I'm using one right now.

As for the contention that it is buggy - I don't find it any worse
than b43, and quite a bit better than p54usb, the two other wireless
drivers that I use. Reports of failures that are posted in the Redhat
Bugzilla cannot be duplicated by me.

Larry

2008-10-04 13:07:10

by Gábor Stefanik

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

2008-10-04 08:50:55

by Johannes Berg

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 01:47 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 1:32 AM, Johannes Berg <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 18:15 -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>
> >> I also hope that someone will make a version of the Realtek driver
> >> that works properly with Network Manager, and backport it to the
> >> 2.6.24 (Ubuntu 8.04 and others) kernel. Who should I encourage?
> >
> > Uh, that's unlikely to happen, unless compat-old (see the Download page
> > on the wiki) works on that kernel.
>
> What Realtek driver? Just FYI rtl8187 does *not* claim the RTL8187B. See:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl8187

Oh, I thought there was a version now that did.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (836.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

On Saturday 04 October 2008 10:07:08 Stefanik G=E1bor wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Johannes Berg
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 01:47 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> >> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 1:32 AM, Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutio=
ns.net>=20
wrote:

> >> What Realtek driver? Just FYI rtl8187 does *not* claim the RTL8187=
B.
> >> See:
> >>
> >> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl8187
> >
> > Oh, I thought there was a version now that did.
> >
> > johannes
>
> Hin-Tak Leung added support for RTL8187B a while ago, although it's
> still a bit buggy. Likely someone forgot to update the rtl8187 page o=
> the wiki. CCing Hin-Tak and Herton.

I created an account there now and did a minimal update on the page, pl=
ease=20
take a look. There are some things we need to improve in the driver, we=
=20
received also an updated driver and a minimal datasheet but unfortunate=
ly=20
from my part I didn't had much success and time in playing/learning to=20
improve its support.

--
[]'s
Herton

2008-10-19 05:53:58

by Daniel Drake

Johannes Berg wrote:
>> The Trendnet TEW-424B is now version 3.1R, and contains a RealTek
>> 8187B ( lsusb 0bda:8189 ) rather than the Zydas ZD1211RW .
>> So it should leave the list.
>
> Ugly. Should we have both on there maybe with a version number? Daniel?
> We can list the other one for rtl8187b too.

The 424B is not listed as a ZD1211 device. Several versions of the 424UB
are listed with their specific version numbers (including the original
one that has no version).

Daniel