2009-03-27 20:02:47

by Sid Hayn

Subject: iw error message enhancement request

I was just trying to support a user in the irc channel with the
following error:

14:14 < ~incastrix-hl> Zero_Chaos: receive a strange message after: iw
phy phy0 interface add wlan11 type ap
14:14 < ~incastrix-hl> Zero_Chaos: http://wireless.kernel.org/RTFM-AP

In case you read that like I did, you read it wrong, let me explain better:

Kid src # iw phy phy0 interface add wlan12 type ap
See http://wireless.kernel.org/RTFM-AP.

Yes, you read that right, when you try to use iw to create a master/ap
mode interface it gives NO ERROR, NO EXPLAINATION, and refers you to a
web page (which doesn't even mention this error mind you). This doesn't
make any sense at all. There are two rational solutions:

1.) Use a meaningful error message such as "Hostapd is required for
master mode: please see http://wireless.kernel.org/RTFM-AP"

2.) Remove the option to make a master mode interface from iw
completely. Since iw doesn't have the ability to set master mode this
is a completely pointless option. It's like adding an option to ping
like "ping -irssi freeenode.net" which outputs "See http://www.irssi.org".

I favor option 1 because iw is the obvious place where people will be
looking to set master mode so having a useful error message there is
needed in my opinion. The likelyhood for someone to try and set master
mode from iw IMHO negates the arguement I make in option 2, but I wanted
to present both logical options.

Either way, what is in iw right now is aweful. Not only does it not
explain what is going on with that error message, but the website
doesn't even mention the problem. Additionally, presuming that someone
has internet when they are running iw isn't a safe assumption at all.
Maybe I have no internet and I want to bring up an AP to play a LAN game
with friends? Or any number of other reasons to bring up an AP without
internet. Please folks, this is just sloppy.

-Rick Farina