2009-04-09 21:38:23

by Larry Finger

Subject: b43 rfkill LED broken in 2.6.30-rc1 from wireless-testing

Johannes,

Boy is the rfkill subsystem fragile.

After all our debugging of the control of the b43 LED with the rfkill switch, it
is broken again with 2.6.30-rc1.

I put a test print at the start of b43_led_brightness_set(). It gets called lots
of times for the TX/RX LED (which I do not have), but only gets called for the
radio LED when the driver is loaded or unloaded. Changing the rfkill switch
causes the "radio hardware status" messages to be output, but nothing happens
with the LED.

Now, led_trigger_event() once again is only called indirectly through
rfkill_led_trigger() from rfkill_led_trigger_activate(), but
rfkill_led_trigger() is never called. I have no idea who is calling
b43_led_brightness at start-up/shut-down. It must be some part of the LED system.

Some things are working. The contents of /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill3/state change
from 0 to 1 when the switch is turned on; however, I have not been able to
locate what code is doing the change. Routine rfkill_uevent() is never entered.

Larry

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Johannes Berg wrote:
> into the tree yet, as I still need to fix up a few things and get
> toshiba/sony/thinkpad converted :)

As I said, I will do the thinkpad conversion for you, but I am still waiting
for your reply (and maybe a new version of the rfkill rework patchset)...

Henrique Holschuh

2009-04-11 10:43:56

by Johannes Berg

On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 03:19 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > into the tree yet, as I still need to fix up a few things and get
> > toshiba/sony/thinkpad converted :)
>
> As I said, I will do the thinkpad conversion for you, but I am still waiting
> for your reply (and maybe a new version of the rfkill rework patchset)...

Yes, your mail's still marked unread -- I need to take some time to work
on it.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (836.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2009-04-10 03:08:47

by Larry Finger

Larry Finger wrote:
> Johannes,
>
> Boy is the rfkill subsystem fragile.
>
> After all our debugging of the control of the b43 LED with the rfkill switch, it
> is broken again with 2.6.30-rc1.

I found the problem and will be submitting a patch ASAP.

Larry

2009-04-10 07:32:11

by Johannes Berg

Larry,

> Boy is the rfkill subsystem fragile.
>
> After all our debugging of the control of the b43 LED with the rfkill switch, it
> is broken again with 2.6.30-rc1.

Is that really _again_? My patch, which contained the fix, didn't go