2009-11-25 16:30:12

by Patrick McHardy

Subject: RFC: mac80211: add ethtool support

If people find this useful, I'll go through the other wireless drivers
and add the drvname field.

Attachments:
01.diff (2.66 kB)

2009-11-25 16:45:33

by John W. Linville

Subject: Re: RFC: mac80211: add ethtool support

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 05:42:53PM +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Johannes Berg wrote:

> >> Mhh good point :) For some reason it didn't show any information, but
> >> that might have been a mistake on my part. I'll give it another shot :)
> >
> > It probably won't show the driver name because we haven't pushed that
> > through in any way?
>
> Its actually showing:
>
> # ethtool -i wlan0
> Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported
>
> which shouldn't happen, since the callback is defined. I'll
> have a closer look at this.

What kernel are you using?

[linville-t400.local]:> ethtool -i wlan0
driver: iwlagn
version: 2.6.32-rc8-wl
firmware-version: 8.24.2.12
bus-info: 0000:03:00.0

--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2009-11-25 16:34:19

by Patrick McHardy

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 17:18 +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:
>> mac80211: add ethtool support
>>
>> Add ethtool support and add a drvname field to struct ieee80211_ops, which is
>> used for ethtool driver information. This is useful with multiple different
>> wireless cards to find out which device is using which driver.
>>

> I thought we _had_ ethtool support via cfg80211?!

Mhh good point :) For some reason it didn't show any information, but
that might have been a mistake on my part. I'll give it another shot :)

2009-11-25 16:37:15

by Johannes Berg

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 17:34 +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Johannes Berg wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 17:18 +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> >> mac80211: add ethtool support
> >>
> >> Add ethtool support and add a drvname field to struct ieee80211_ops, which is
> >> used for ethtool driver information. This is useful with multiple different
> >> wireless cards to find out which device is using which driver.
> >>

> > I thought we _had_ ethtool support via cfg80211?!
>
> Mhh good point :) For some reason it didn't show any information, but
> that might have been a mistake on my part. I'll give it another shot :)

It probably won't show the driver name because we haven't pushed that
through in any way?

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (801.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2009-11-25 16:42:49

by Patrick McHardy

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 17:34 +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:
>> Johannes Berg wrote:

>>> I thought we _had_ ethtool support via cfg80211?!
>> Mhh good point :) For some reason it didn't show any information, but
>> that might have been a mistake on my part. I'll give it another shot :)
>
> It probably won't show the driver name because we haven't pushed that
> through in any way?

Its actually showing:

# ethtool -i wlan0
Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported

which shouldn't happen, since the callback is defined. I'll
have a closer look at this.

2009-11-25 16:31:56

by Johannes Berg

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 17:18 +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> mac80211: add ethtool support
>
> Add ethtool support and add a drvname field to struct ieee80211_ops, which is
> used for ethtool driver information. This is useful with multiple different
> wireless cards to find out which device is using which driver.

I thought we _had_ ethtool support via cfg80211?!

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (801.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2009-11-25 16:47:12

by Patrick McHardy

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 05:42:53PM +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:
>> Johannes Berg wrote:

>>> It probably won't show the driver name because we haven't pushed that
>>> through in any way?
>> Its actually showing:
>>
>> # ethtool -i wlan0
>> Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported
>>
>> which shouldn't happen, since the callback is defined. I'll
>> have a closer look at this.
>
> What kernel are you using?

OK, that was a mistake on my part, I added the patch on net-next,
but the above test was done on net-2.6. Everything is working fine,
sorry for the confusion :)