2009-12-21 12:55:21

by Mike Marchywka

Subject: I need a card that works reasonably easily with Debain- reccs?

Hi,
I gave up on windoze after all the apps became too bloated to tolerate
and it didn't seem I should need 1Gbyte to post on a forum without
the browser tying up my disk on VM for minutes on each character I
typed. Debian has worked much better but I can't get my current
wireless card to work well through ndiswrapper. I'm getting inconsistent
results but can download via windozeon another machine and get fast
xfer over eth0. I'm going out to buy a new card, what should I get?

Thanks.

note new address
Mike Marchywka
1975 Village Round
Marietta GA 30064
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
[email protected]
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/

2009-12-21 15:05:00

by Gábor Stefanik

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Mike Marchywka <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks.
> As near as I can tell from the driver files it should be a netgear WG311v3
> 802.11g. May be a card mismatch but I'd have to pull machine apart to check.

The WG311v3 is a Marvell chipset, with no native driver.

> Are there known issues with ndiswrapper or I shouldn't even ask here? LOL.

Apart from the fact that you are introducing an undebuggable binary
blob into the kernel, there are no problems... :-)

> If there are known easy/difficult cards on a faq/list somewhere I thought that
> would help as driver support seems to be a big issue.

>> From: [email protected]
>> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:14:25 +0100
>> Subject: Re: I need a card that works reasonably easily with Debain- reccs?
>> To: [email protected]
>> CC: [email protected]
>>
>> Ndiswrapper is not supported in any way, and is probably not the best
>> way to get your card to work.
>> What card do you have currently?
>>
>> Peace,
>> G?bor
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Mike Marchywka ?wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I gave up on windoze after all the apps became too bloated to tolerate
>>> and it didn't seem I should need 1Gbyte to post on a forum without
>>> the browser tying up my disk on VM for minutes on each character I
>>> typed. Debian has worked much better but I can't get my current
>>> wireless card to work well through ndiswrapper. I'm getting inconsistent
>>> results but can download via windozeon another machine and get fast
>>> xfer over eth0. I'm going out to buy a new card, what should I get?
>>>

>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> note new address
>>> Mike Marchywka
>>> 1975 Village Round
>>> Marietta GA 30064
>>> 415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
>>> 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
>>> 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
>>> [email protected]
>>> Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
>>> information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
>>> Please indicate any concerns if applicable.

>>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>>> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>>

>> --
>> Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)
>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

2009-12-24 13:14:24

by Julian Calaby

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 23:29, Mike Marchywka <[email protected]> wrote:
>> If you're interested, I can dig up the other bits and pieces I have
>> and send them to you. (None of these actually work, and the mrv8k
>> driver is the most complete.)
>
> Thanks but please don't go to any effort quite yet as this would be a learning
> curve for me - I can handle UART's on a Z80 and embedded systems but this may take a bit :)
> I would consider learning in background but it will take a while to create useful result.

I've got it all saved in a directory from my stalled driver effort, so
it isn't really that difficult.

As for the actual programming, this is worlds away from z80s and
embedded systems. (amusingly, I'm currently in the process of scoping
my skills in that direction, but I digress)

Before I get too far along, this is getting seriously off topic, this
list is for the development of wireless (802.11*) drivers for Linux,
some hardware queries, the occasional user issue, and not much more,
I'll give you what info I have, but most of your queries are best
suited to other lists.

>>> but now that you have me going I would like to find a driver for this too,
>>>
>>> 04:07.0 Communication controller [0780]: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem [14f1:2f20]
>>
>> You'll have to ask elsewhere for info on that, it doesn't seem to be a
>> wireless card =)
>>
>> However, it does seem to be a PCI 56k Modem, which causes the big red
>> warning lights to flash: it's likely to be a "winmodem" which means
>> that it's a very *very* dumb card containing a trumped up DAC and ADC
>> and the absolute minimum hardware to talk on a POTS line. In terms of
>> drivers, this means that almost all the meat of a modem is implemented
>> in software, so the driver needs to handle most of the conversion from
>> data to be sent to the tones to send out on the POTS line *in
>> software*. There are a couple of winmodem drivers floating around out
>> there, but, as I understand it, there is no standard for these
>> devices, so every brand (and possibly model) works differently.
>
> Yeah, I've heard about the winmodems but I thought this was not one.
> It may in fact be easier to just use an old windoze machine to run junk like
> this- cygwin ssh on these things should make them useful...

If a 56k modem is useful to you.... =)

> Any idea how hard it would be to write a bluetooth driver to use my blackerry storm
> as a mouse? I could probably handle the BB code. LOL.

This is something you should ask on one of the bluetooth lists /
forums. I don't know where you could find these, but you might want to
start at http://www.bluez.org/

If I were doing it, I'd try to figure out some way of making the
blackberry emulate a serial mouse, and use RFCOMM to handle the
bluetooth side of things, and write a small app at the computer end to
make it all work together.

> As far as that goes, for a tethered or even bluetooth device, are there modem drivers for
> phones or if I want to use a cellular connection go usb modem? After all of this, I'm tempted
> to try to get back my amateur radio license and see if I can connect through a VHF repeater
> somewhere LOL.

For cellular phones, the usual method of connection involves AT style
commands over some type of serial port. E.g. most Nokia phones have
two modified serial ports under the battery. One talks a standardised
(but proprietary) protocol that's used for things like SMSs, contacts
and ringtones, the other works like any other serial modem, however
with an expanded command set to do useful cellular things. Check out
Gnokii and Gammu / Wammu for more information.

As for Bluetooth, there's the DUN and BNEP for encapsulating Ethernet
over Bluetooth. If your Linux distro is recent enough, you most likely
have everything you need already. (Network Manager handles most of
this for you.) But check out bluez at the address above, and I'm sure
they can point you in the right direction.

Good Luck!

--

Julian Calaby

Email: [email protected]
.Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

2009-12-24 11:48:37

by Julian Calaby

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:29, Mike Marchywka <[email protected]> wrote:

> This is the info for the card,
> 04:06.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless [11ab:1faa] (rev 03)

Oh yes, the WG311 v3

I have grappled with one of these cards in the past. There's been a
couple of efforts (one on my part) to get a working open source driver
off the ground, however none have (yet) borne fruit.

Essentially, your only option is to either use a very specific kernel
version and Marvell's official open source driver, or write your own
from the bits and pieces of the others around.

The Marvell driver can be found here: *note the version number*.
http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/marvell-db64660-2.6.12.6.git

The (non-working) remains of one of the efforts can be found here:
http://git.infradead.org/mrv8k-2.6.git

If you're interested, I can dig up the other bits and pieces I have
and send them to you. (None of these actually work, and the mrv8k
driver is the most complete.)

Also, the hardware may be similar enough to the Marvell TopDog
hardware supported by the in-tree mwl8k driver that it can be used as
a base.

Personally, my solution to the issue of there being no drivers for
this card was to try (and succeed) in making another wireless card I
have work.

> but now that you have me going I would like to find a driver for this too,
>
> 04:07.0 Communication controller [0780]: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem [14f1:2f20]

You'll have to ask elsewhere for info on that, it doesn't seem to be a
wireless card =)

However, it does seem to be a PCI 56k Modem, which causes the big red
warning lights to flash: it's likely to be a "winmodem" which means
that it's a very *very* dumb card containing a trumped up DAC and ADC
and the absolute minimum hardware to talk on a POTS line. In terms of
drivers, this means that almost all the meat of a modem is implemented
in software, so the driver needs to handle most of the conversion from
data to be sent to the tones to send out on the POTS line *in
software*. There are a couple of winmodem drivers floating around out
there, but, as I understand it, there is no standard for these
devices, so every brand (and possibly model) works differently.

Hopefully you have one of the better supported cards.

Good Luck!

Julian Calaby

Email: [email protected]
.Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

2009-12-24 12:29:13

by Mike Marchywka

> From: [email protected]
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 22:48:17 +1100
> Subject: Re: I need a card that works reasonably easily with Debain- reccs?
> To: [email protected]
> CC: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
>
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:29, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>>

>> This is the info for the card,
>> 04:06.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless [11ab:1faa] (rev 03)
>
> Oh yes, the WG311 v3
>
> I have grappled with one of these cards in the past. There's been a
> couple of efforts (one on my part) to get a working open source driver
> off the ground, however none have (yet) borne fruit.
>
> Essentially, your only option is to either use a very specific kernel
> version and Marvell's official open source driver, or write your own
> from the bits and pieces of the others around.
>
> The Marvell driver can be found here: *note the version number*.
> http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/marvell-db64660-2.6.12.6.git
>
> The (non-working) remains of one of the efforts can be found here:
> http://git.infradead.org/mrv8k-2.6.git
>
> If you're interested, I can dig up the other bits and pieces I have
> and send them to you. (None of these actually work, and the mrv8k
> driver is the most complete.)

Thanks but please don't go to any effort quite yet as this would be a learning
curve for me - I can handle UART's on a Z80 and embedded systems but this may take a bit :)
I would consider learning in background but it will take a while to create useful result.

> Also, the hardware may be similar enough to the Marvell TopDog
> hardware supported by the in-tree mwl8k driver that it can be used as
> a base.
>
> Personally, my solution to the issue of there being no drivers for
> this card was to try (and succeed) in making another wireless card I
> have work.

Right now I'm connecting through eth0 wired to a windoze machine with a wireless card.
Originally the linux machine was going to do this, as well as all the other cool stuff.

>> but now that you have me going I would like to find a driver for this too,
>>
>> 04:07.0 Communication controller [0780]: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem [14f1:2f20]
>
> You'll have to ask elsewhere for info on that, it doesn't seem to be a
> wireless card =)
>
> However, it does seem to be a PCI 56k Modem, which causes the big red
> warning lights to flash: it's likely to be a "winmodem" which means
> that it's a very *very* dumb card containing a trumped up DAC and ADC
> and the absolute minimum hardware to talk on a POTS line. In terms of
> drivers, this means that almost all the meat of a modem is implemented
> in software, so the driver needs to handle most of the conversion from
> data to be sent to the tones to send out on the POTS line *in
> software*. There are a couple of winmodem drivers floating around out
> there, but, as I understand it, there is no standard for these
> devices, so every brand (and possibly model) works differently.

Yeah, I've heard about the winmodems but I thought this was not one.
It may in fact be easier to just use an old windoze machine to run junk like
this- cygwin ssh on these things should make them useful...

> Hopefully you have one of the better supported cards.

Any idea how hard it would be to write a bluetooth driver to use my blackerry storm
as a mouse? I could probably handle the BB code. LOL.

As far as that goes, for a tethered or even bluetooth device, are there modem drivers for
phones or if I want to use a cellular connection go usb modem? After all of this, I'm tempted
to try to get back my amateur radio license and see if I can connect through a VHF repeater
somewhere LOL.

> Good Luck!
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Julian Calaby
>
> Email: [email protected]
> .Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/

2009-12-21 14:14:46

by Gábor Stefanik

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Mike Marchywka <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I gave up on windoze after all the apps became too bloated to tolerate
> and it didn't seem I should need 1Gbyte to post on a forum without
> the browser tying up my disk on VM for minutes on each character I
> typed. Debian has worked much better but I can't get my current
> wireless card to work well through ndiswrapper. I'm getting inconsistent
> results but can download via windozeon another machine and get fast
> xfer over eth0. I'm going out to buy a new card, what should I get?
>

> Thanks.
>

> note new address
> Mike Marchywka
> 1975 Village Round
> Marietta GA 30064
> 415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
> 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
> 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
> [email protected]
> Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
> information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
> Please indicate any concerns if applicable.

> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

2009-12-21 22:29:14

by Mike Marchywka

This is the info for the card,
04:06.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless [11ab:1faa] (rev 03)
but now that you have me going I would like to find a driver for this too,

04:07.0 Communication controller [0780]: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem [14f1:2f20]

I don't like using a wrapped driver either but IIRC I got the machine like this and usually
it works fine but it really slow with current cable modem even when windoze machines are doing
fine. I guess I could connect through the windoze machine but they are already swamped with
2 open browser windows.

Once I learn to use ip and the routing tables I was going to make this the only machine
in this area to have an active wireless connection and route all the others through
it but will make a huge bottleneck at 20kBps when others are getting 250 routinely.

Thanks.

note new address
Mike Marchywka
1975 Village Round
Marietta GA 30064
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
[email protected]
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.

> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:33:08 -0600
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> CC: [email protected]; [email protected]
> Subject: Re: I need a card that works reasonably easily with Debain- reccs?
>
> On 12/21/2009 08:51 AM, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>>

>> Thanks.
>> As near as I can tell from the driver files it should be a netgear WG311v3
>> 802.11g. May be a card mismatch but I'd have to pull machine apart to check.
>>
>> Are there known issues with ndiswrapper or I shouldn't even ask here? LOL.
>>
>> If there are known easy/difficult cards on a faq/list somewhere I thought that
>> would help as driver support seems to be a big issue.
>
> Before you rip the machine apart, use lsusb or 'lspci -nn' to get the
> USB or PCI IDs for the device.
>
> Most of us saw far too many Windows Blue Screens of Death to allow any
> Windows code unchecked access to the inner rings of Linux, which is
> exactly what ndiswrapper does.

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft?s powerful SPAM protection.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/

2009-12-21 15:33:11

by Larry Finger

On 12/21/2009 08:51 AM, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> Thanks.
> As near as I can tell from the driver files it should be a netgear WG311v3
> 802.11g. May be a card mismatch but I'd have to pull machine apart to check.
>
> Are there known issues with ndiswrapper or I shouldn't even ask here? LOL.
>
> If there are known easy/difficult cards on a faq/list somewhere I thought that
> would help as driver support seems to be a big issue.

Before you rip the machine apart, use lsusb or 'lspci -nn' to get the
USB or PCI IDs for the device.

Most of us saw far too many Windows Blue Screens of Death to allow any
Windows code unchecked access to the inner rings of Linux, which is
exactly what ndiswrapper does.

2009-12-21 14:57:36

by Mike Marchywka