2010-01-05 23:01:57

by John Daiker

Subject: b43: must set qos=0 on to connect

I have a BCM4312 rev 01 (14e4:4315) card in my HP Mini netbook. I am
having troubles connecting to any WEP secured AP.

I know the trick about having to load with pio=1 for the device to stay
happy (and forget about using DMA), so no issues there, I hope.

With qos=1 (by default, IIRC), I am unable to establish a connection
with said WEP connection, and notice many 'PHY transmission error'
messages in my dmesg output.

With qos=1, I can successfully connect to my WEP connection without
issue, and without any error messages or warnings.

I have a BCM4318 rev 02 (14e4:4318) in a desktop that works with
enabled/disabled qos not matter what. Also, a RT2500-based card works
fine on the connection as well.

Both card are using the 478.104 firmware.

Please advise what steps I should take to further debug this issue.

Thanks,
John Daiker

2010-01-06 00:12:14

by John Daiker

Subject: Re: b43: must set qos=0 on to connect

On 01/05/2010 03:48 PM, G?bor Stefanik wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM, John Daiker<[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have a BCM4312 rev 01 (14e4:4315) card in my HP Mini netbook. I am having
>> troubles connecting to any WEP secured AP.
>>
>> I know the trick about having to load with pio=1 for the device to stay
>> happy (and forget about using DMA), so no issues there, I hope.
>>
>> With qos=1 (by default, IIRC), I am unable to establish a connection with
>> said WEP connection, and notice many 'PHY transmission error' messages in my
>> dmesg output.
>>
>> With qos=1, I can successfully connect to my WEP connection without issue,
>> and without any error messages or warnings.
>>
>> I have a BCM4318 rev 02 (14e4:4318) in a desktop that works with
>> enabled/disabled qos not matter what. Also, a RT2500-based card works fine
>> on the connection as well.
>>
>> Both card are using the 478.104 firmware.
>>
>> Please advise what steps I should take to further debug this issue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John Daiker
>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>>

> Hi!
>
> Is this the new 4312 (BCM94312HMGB AKA 575920-001), with integrated
> Bluetooth? I haven't seen this issue on my machines with a regular
> 4312, so it is probably related to the DMA error, or maybe it is
> specific to the new 4312. If you can, please check whether the actual
> model number printed on the card is the new one.
>
> Thanks,
> G?bor

G?bor,

I just pulled the card, and it's not the chip you mention. It's a
"BCM94312HMG" (Notice that it doesn't have the "B" at the end. I would
assume that indicates the Bluetooth integration.)

I've taken few photos of the front and back of the card. Let me know if
you want to see them... I can post 'em on my website or flickr for your
viewing pleasure.

Thanks,
John Daiker

2010-01-05 23:49:18

by Gábor Stefanik

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM, John Daiker <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a BCM4312 rev 01 (14e4:4315) card in my HP Mini netbook. ?I am having
> troubles connecting to any WEP secured AP.
>
> I know the trick about having to load with pio=1 for the device to stay
> happy (and forget about using DMA), so no issues there, I hope.
>
> With qos=1 (by default, IIRC), I am unable to establish a connection with
> said WEP connection, and notice many 'PHY transmission error' messages in my
> dmesg output.
>
> With qos=1, I can successfully connect to my WEP connection without issue,
> and without any error messages or warnings.
>
> I have a BCM4318 rev 02 (14e4:4318) in a desktop that works with
> enabled/disabled qos not matter what. ?Also, a RT2500-based card works fine
> on the connection as well.
>
> Both card are using the 478.104 firmware.
>
> Please advise what steps I should take to further debug this issue.
>
> Thanks,
> John Daiker
> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Hi!

Is this the new 4312 (BCM94312HMGB AKA 575920-001), with integrated
Bluetooth? I haven't seen this issue on my machines with a regular
4312, so it is probably related to the DMA error, or maybe it is
specific to the new 4312. If you can, please check whether the actual
model number printed on the card is the new one.

Thanks,
G?bor

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

2010-01-06 00:34:25

by Gábor Stefanik

2010/1/6 John Daiker <[email protected]>:
> On 01/05/2010 03:48 PM, G?bor Stefanik wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM, John Daiker<[email protected]> ?wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a BCM4312 rev 01 (14e4:4315) card in my HP Mini netbook. ?I am
>>> having
>>> troubles connecting to any WEP secured AP.
>>>
>>> I know the trick about having to load with pio=1 for the device to stay
>>> happy (and forget about using DMA), so no issues there, I hope.
>>>
>>> With qos=1 (by default, IIRC), I am unable to establish a connection with
>>> said WEP connection, and notice many 'PHY transmission error' messages in
>>> my
>>> dmesg output.
>>>
>>> With qos=1, I can successfully connect to my WEP connection without
>>> issue,
>>> and without any error messages or warnings.
>>>
>>> I have a BCM4318 rev 02 (14e4:4318) in a desktop that works with
>>> enabled/disabled qos not matter what. ?Also, a RT2500-based card works
>>> fine
>>> on the connection as well.
>>>
>>> Both card are using the 478.104 firmware.
>>>
>>> Please advise what steps I should take to further debug this issue.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> John Daiker
>>> --
>>> in
>>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>>> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>>

>> Hi!
>>
>> Is this the new 4312 (BCM94312HMGB AKA 575920-001), with integrated
>> Bluetooth? I haven't seen this issue on my machines with a regular
>> 4312, so it is probably related to the DMA error, or maybe it is
>> specific to the new 4312. If you can, please check whether the actual
>> model number printed on the card is the new one.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> G?bor
>>

> G?bor,
>
> I just pulled the card, and it's not the chip you mention. ?It's a
> "BCM94312HMG" ?(Notice that it doesn't have the "B" at the end. ?I would
> assume that indicates the Bluetooth integration.)
>
> I've taken few photos of the front and back of the card. ?Let me know if you
> want to see them... I can post 'em on my website or flickr for your viewing
> pleasure.
>
> Thanks,
> John Daiker

Weird... I also have a 94312HMG, and it doesn't show this error (at
least not in DMA mode).

Maybe this is a PIO-specific issue... I'll try to test that.

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)