2010-03-30 19:39:52

by Xose Vazquez Perez

Subject: Re: FW RT307x/RT309x

Luis Correia wrote:

> Sorry, you can do whatever you want, but I, representing the rt2x00
> team cannot back you up in this.
>
> The distributions surely aren't getting the firmware files from source
> code, when they are available with a clear license in the
> manufacturer's website.
>
> We also do not condone any (mis)use of those firmware files.
> However support will only be given to people using firmware obtained
> from Ralink.

those file of fw are inside source code, and directly downloaded from ralink !
http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2

And ALL ralink fw licenses are the _same_. Source code, web and zip_files
have the same text.

--
?All? muevan feroz guerra, ciegos reyes por un palmo m?s de tierra;
que yo aqu? tengo por m?o cuanto abarca el mar brav?o, a quien nadie

2010-03-30 19:43:00

by Luis Correia

Subject: Re: [rt2x00-users] FW RT307x/RT309x

Xose,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 20:39, Xose Vazquez Perez
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Luis Correia wrote:
>
>> Sorry, you can do whatever you want, but I, representing the rt2x00
>> team cannot back you up in this.
>>
>> The distributions surely aren't getting the firmware files from source
>> code, when they are available with a clear license in the
>> manufacturer's website.
>>
>> We also do not condone any (mis)use of those firmware files.
>> However support will only be given to people using firmware obtained
>> from Ralink.
>
> those file of fw are inside source code, and directly downloaded from ralink !
> http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2
>
> And ALL ralink fw licenses are the _same_. Source code, web and zip_files
> have the same text.

No, you are wrong.

The source code is GPL, the firmware files are not.

For me this is the last time I'll write about this.

Luis Correia
rt2x00 project admin

2010-04-03 12:10:31

by Luis Correia

Hi all,

here is an update, Ralink has released new firmware files, no need to
go on 'ripping stuff out of code'.

---
Firmware RT28XX/RT30XX PCI/mPCI/PCIe/CardBus series
(RT2760/RT2790/RT2860/RT2890/RT3060/RT3062/RT3562/RT2860/RT2760/RT2890/RT2790/RT3090)

http://www.ralinktech.com/license_us.php?n=2&p=1&t=U0wyRnpjMlYwY3k4eU1ERXdMekF6THpNeEwyUnZkMjVzYjJGa01UWTBNamsyTVRBNE1pNTZhWEE5UFQxU1ZESTROakJmUm1seWJYZGhjbVZmVmpJMkM%3D
---
Firmware RT28XX/RT30XX USB series
(RT2870/RT2770/RT3572/RT3070)

http://www.ralinktech.com/license_us.php?n=2&p=1&t=U0wyRnpjMlYwY3k4eU1ERXdMekF6THpNeEwyUnZkMjVzYjJGa01UWXpPRGs1T0Rnek5pNTZhWEE5UFQxU1ZESTROekJmUm1seWJYZGhjbVZmVmpJeUM%3D
---

Copy of the provided license:

* Copyright (c) 2009, Ralink Technology Corporation All rights
reserved. *
*

*
* Redistribution. Redistribution and use in binary form, without
modification, *
* are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
*
*

*
* -Redistributions must reproduce the above copyright notice and the
following *
* disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
with the *
* distribution.

*
* -Neither the name of Ralink Technology Corporation nor the names of
its *
* suppliers may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
this *
* software without specific prior written permission.
*
* -No reverse engineering, decompilation, or disassembly of this
software is *
* permitted.

*
*

*
* Limited patent license. Ralink Technology Corporation grants a
world-wide, *
* royalty-free, non-exclusive license under patents it now or
hereafter owns *
* or controls to make, have made, use, import, offer to sell and sell
("Utilize") *
* this software, but solely to the extent that any such patent is
necessary to *
* Utilize the software alone, or in combination with an operating
system *
* licensed under an approved Open Source license as listed by the Open
Source *
* Initiative at http://opensource.org/licenses. The patent license
shall not apply *
* to any other combinations which include this software. No hardware
perse is *
* licensed hereunder.

*
*

*
* DISCLAIMER. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND *
* CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,INCLUDING, *
* BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
*
* FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE *
* COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, *
* INCIDENTAL,SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, *
* BUT NOT LIMITED TO,PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;LOSS OF*
* USE, DATA,OR PROFITS;OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON *
* ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR
TORT *
* (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE *
* OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
*

by Gertjan van Wingerde

On 04/03/10 14:10, Luis Correia wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> here is an update, Ralink has released new firmware files, no need to
> go on 'ripping stuff out of code'.
>
> ---
> Firmware RT28XX/RT30XX PCI/mPCI/PCIe/CardBus series
> (RT2760/RT2790/RT2860/RT2890/RT3060/RT3062/RT3562/RT2860/RT2760/RT2890/RT2790/RT3090)
>
> http://www.ralinktech.com/license_us.php?n=2&p=1&t=U0wyRnpjMlYwY3k4eU1ERXdMekF6THpNeEwyUnZkMjVzYjJGa01UWTBNamsyTVRBNE1pNTZhWEE5UFQxU1ZESTROakJmUm1seWJYZGhjbVZmVmpJMkM%3D
> ---
> Firmware RT28XX/RT30XX USB series
> (RT2870/RT2770/RT3572/RT3070)
>
> http://www.ralinktech.com/license_us.php?n=2&p=1&t=U0wyRnpjMlYwY3k4eU1ERXdMekF6THpNeEwyUnZkMjVzYjJGa01UWXpPRGs1T0Rnek5pNTZhWEE5UFQxU1ZESTROekJmUm1seWJYZGhjbVZmVmpJeUM%3D
> ---

Thanks for checking Luis. So we can leave everything as it is right now, as there are
no different names for the firmware.

Now to convince the staging people that they have done the wrong thing by creating rt3070.bin, etc. :-(

---
Gertjan.

2010-04-06 22:35:58

by Luis Correia

Hi and sorry about the delay,

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 18:38, Richard Farina <[email protected]> wrote:
> Luis Correia wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> here is an update, Ralink has released new firmware files, no need to
>> go on 'ripping stuff out of code'.
>>
>> ---
>> Firmware RT28XX/RT30XX PCI/mPCI/PCIe/CardBus series
>>
>> (RT2760/RT2790/RT2860/RT2890/RT3060/RT3062/RT3562/RT2860/RT2760/RT2890/RT2790/RT3090)
>>

>> http://www.ralinktech.com/license_us.php?n=2&p=1&t=U0wyRnpjMlYwY3k4eU1ERXdMekF6THpNeEwyUnZkMjVzYjJGa01UWTBNamsyTVRBNE1pNTZhWEE5UFQxU1ZESTROakJmUm1seWJYZGhjbVZmVmpJMkM%3D
>> ---
>> Firmware RT28XX/RT30XX USB series
>> (RT2870/RT2770/RT3572/RT3070)
>>

>> http://www.ralinktech.com/license_us.php?n=2&p=1&t=U0wyRnpjMlYwY3k4eU1ERXdMekF6THpNeEwyUnZkMjVzYjJGa01UWXpPRGs1T0Rnek5pNTZhWEE5UFQxU1ZESTROekJmUm1seWJYZGhjbVZmVmpJeUM%3D
>> ---
>>

> Great, are these newer versions of the ones in linux-firmware.git? Can we
> get linux-firmware.git updated?

To be completely honest, I have no idea of what's in linux-firmware.git .

We, the rt2x00 project, do not distribute firmware files with the
driver, it's up to the various distributions to deal with this.

> Thanks,
> Rick Farina

Luis Correia
rt2x00 project admin