2010-05-04 17:55:00

by Larry Finger

Subject: Philosophical question about channel selection

A question has been posed on the openSUSE wireless forum that I do not
know how to answer.

In a given neighborhood, there are 802.11g APs at roughly the same
strength on channels 1 and 10 (yes - 10). As this configuration ensures
that there are no clear channels, what would be the best choice? As I
see it, the options are ch 1 with interference across the full channel
width, ch 6 with interference only at the upper end, or ch 11. Which
would get the best throughput?

Thanks,

Larry

2010-05-04 18:11:37

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> A question has been posed on the openSUSE wireless forum that I do not
> know how to answer.
>
> In a given neighborhood, there are 802.11g APs at roughly the same
> strength on channels 1 and 10 (yes - 10). As this configuration ensures
> that there are no clear channels, what would be the best choice? As I
> see it, the options are ch 1 with interference across the full channel
> width, ch 6 with interference only at the upper end, or ch 11. Which
> would get the best throughput?

Depends on how busy those APs are :) I'd use a minstrel type algorithm
to test :P

Luis