2010-05-14 16:17:40

by David H. Lynch Jr.

Subject: compat-wireless

I am working with the carl9170 driver.
I have a working development environment based on wireless-testing.

I am going to need to support carl9170 with older linux versions.
I pullled the compat-wireless git tree and can not figure out how
to build from it.
Is there any step by step instructions to get from the raw git
tree to being able to build against a specific kernel source ?

I DL'd the compat-wireless tarball for 2.6.32. I was able to get
that working against ubuntu lucid kernel sources.
When I add the carl9170 driver I get a large collection of errors
building it.
While some of these appear to be very specific to this
driver many seem specific to differences between 2.6.32 compat-wireless
and wireless testing. I was hoping moving to the compat-wireless git
tree would fix that, but I can not figure out how to build from it.

In an altogether different project it would be useful use
compat-wireless to support a newer wifi driver with a 2.6.27 kernel.
That seems fairly standard. But I need to cross compile the kernel. As
best as I can tell compat-wireless is setup to work against your
current running kernel. Are there any pointers for cross-compiling with
compat-wireless, or for building against source other than that for the
running kernel ?

Thanks

--
Dave Lynch DLA Systems
Software Development: Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein

2010-05-14 16:24:03

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: Re: compat-wireless

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM, David H. Lynch Jr. <[email protected]> wrote:
>    I am working with the carl9170 driver.
>    I have a working development environment based on wireless-testing.
>
>    I am going to need to support carl9170 with older linux versions.
>    I pullled the compat-wireless git tree and can not figure out how to
> build from it.
>        Is there any step by step instructions to get from the raw git tree
> to being able to build against a specific kernel source ?
>
>    I DL'd the compat-wireless tarball for 2.6.32. I was able to get that
> working against ubuntu lucid kernel sources.
>    When I add the carl9170 driver I get a large collection of errors
> building it.
>            While some of these appear to be very specific to this driver
> many seem specific to differences between 2.6.32 compat-wireless and
> wireless testing. I was hoping moving to the compat-wireless git tree would
> fix that, but I can not figure out how to build from it.

compat-wireless uses linux-next as a source base tree, not
wireless-testing. Maybe that will help you.

>    In an altogether different project it would be useful use compat-wireless
> to support a newer wifi driver with a 2.6.27 kernel. That seems fairly
> standard. But I need to cross compile the kernel. As best as I can tell
> compat-wireless is setup  to work against your current running kernel. Are
> there any pointers for cross-compiling with compat-wireless, or for building
> against source other than that for the running kernel ?

Cross compilation is covered on the wiki pages for it, you modify KLIB
KLIB_BUILD.

Luis