2010-08-15 16:07:04

by Fritz

Subject: RTL8192E Kernel 2.6.32 Freeze

Hi,

I'm using the RTL8192E (r8192_pci) staging driver
that comes with ubuntu kernel 2.6.32-24 and am
experiencing frequent freezes on an
Intel Atom N450 based system.

Is this a known problem and is there perhaps a newer
kernel that I should build and run instead?

The freeze seems to occur whenever the card reconnects
with the router, see for more detailed problem
description

Fritz

2010-08-15 16:53:55

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: RTL8192E Kernel 2.6.32 Freeze

On 08/15/2010 09:17 AM, Fritz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the RTL8192E (r8192_pci) staging driver
> that comes with ubuntu kernel 2.6.32-24 and am
> experiencing frequent freezes on an
> Intel Atom N450 based system.
>
> Is this a known problem and is there perhaps a newer
> kernel that I should build and run instead?
>
> The freeze seems to occur whenever the card reconnects
> with the router, see for more detailed problem
> description

Drivers in drivers/staging are not supported by this group. We look after the
ones in drivers/net/wireless. As the log message tells you, you have been warned
about using anything from staging. To see the full text, use 'dmesg | grep staging'.

I have no idea if it will help, but I suspect that 2.6.35 might be better than
2.6.32. You might also do a 'modinfo r8192_pci' to see who is listed as the
module author. He/she might be able to help.

Larry