2011-01-26 19:34:39

by James

Subject: no CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT

I installed compat-wireless-2011-01-25 and iwlist doesn't work but iw does.
The warning dmesg shows is "cfg80211: wext will not work because kernel
was compiled with CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=n. Tools using wext interface,
like iwconfig will not work." which is fine BUT my kernel is compiled with
CONFIG_WIRELESS=y
CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS=y
and those are the only 2 'WIRELESS' anything.

I have kernel 2.6.36.3.

2011-01-26 20:53:38

by Randy Dunlap

Subject: Re: no CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:34:34 -0500 James wrote:

> I installed compat-wireless-2011-01-25 and iwlist doesn't work but iw does.
> The warning dmesg shows is "cfg80211: wext will not work because kernel
> was compiled with CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=n. Tools using wext interface,
> like iwconfig will not work." which is fine BUT my kernel is compiled with
> CONFIG_WIRELESS=y
> CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS=y
> and those are the only 2 'WIRELESS' anything.
>
> I have kernel 2.6.36.3.

How about /WEXT/ anything?

I guess that you also have CONFIG_WEXT_CORE enabled?

I don't know about the tools issue though.

---
~Randy

by Hauke Mehrtens

On 01/26/2011 08:34 PM, James wrote:
> I installed compat-wireless-2011-01-25 and iwlist doesn't work but iw does.
> The warning dmesg shows is "cfg80211: wext will not work because kernel
> was compiled with CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=n. Tools using wext interface,
> like iwconfig will not work." which is fine BUT my kernel is compiled with
> CONFIG_WIRELESS=y
> CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS=y
> and those are the only 2 'WIRELESS' anything.
>
> I have kernel 2.6.36.3.

Hi,

you have to activate CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT and nothing else to use the
wext interface. You can not doe this directly in your kernel config, you
have to modify the KConfig or build something that depends on
CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT like ipw2200. Just set CONFIG_IPW200=m in the kernel
configuration and it will also activate CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=y

Hauke

2011-01-26 22:53:14

by James

On 01/26/11 16:23, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> On 01/26/2011 08:34 PM, James wrote:
>> I installed compat-wireless-2011-01-25 and iwlist doesn't work but iw does.
>> The warning dmesg shows is "cfg80211: wext will not work because kernel
>> was compiled with CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=n. Tools using wext interface,
>> like iwconfig will not work." which is fine BUT my kernel is compiled with
>> CONFIG_WIRELESS=y
>> CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS=y
>> and those are the only 2 'WIRELESS' anything.
>>
>> I have kernel 2.6.36.3.
> Hi,
>
> you have to activate CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT and nothing else to use the
> wext interface. You can not doe this directly in your kernel config, you
> have to modify the KConfig or build something that depends on
> CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT like ipw2200. Just set CONFIG_IPW200=m in the kernel
> configuration and it will also activate CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=y
Ah, I googled before but I never found that, thanks.
I will just try to use iw. :-)