2011-02-17 22:25:05

by Till Kamppeter

Subject: Google Summer of Code 2011 - Project ideas page for the Linux Foundation online

Hi,

I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
participation in the Google Summer of Code 2011:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/google-summer-code-2011

Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. If you have
problems mail me with your project idea.

Till

2011-02-24 09:09:46

by Till Kamppeter

On 02/24/2011 01:52 AM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> P.S. Till: please feel free to recycle past unfinished ideas and sign
> me up as possible mentors of relevant printer-stuff projects

I am already doing so. Everything which did not get taken last year I
have reposted this year. Feel free to edit your entries to update or to
make it more attractive.

Till

2011-02-24 18:52:30

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Hin-Tak Leung <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> For 802.11 you can dump your ideas here:
>>>
>>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2011/
>>>
>>> ?Luis
>>
>> Seeing as a few of the mac80211-based wireless drivers (for some of
>> the more dumb/basic/cheap devices) has gained access-point(AP)-mode
>> support code in the kernel recently in the last few months, it would
>> probably be appropriate to add (if it isn't already there) or enhance
>> access-point-mode support in some of the user-land tools like
>> NetworkManager, nm-applet, or wireless assistant?
>
> The dbus / supplicant stuff was done in GSoC 2009, see:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009/Add_AP_Support_to_Network_Manager
>
> Patches were sent to Jouni and IIRC the dbus stuff was the last stuff
> being figured out. So IIRC this was just a matter of userspace
> catchup. If we need that then sure, Dan?
>
> ?Luis

Oh, so long ago :-). (GSoC 2009 would be over a little over a year
ago). Somebody can write a user-friendly GUI wizard to do a
wireless-wired bridge i.e. plus netfilter nat/masquerading config?
Does hostapd has a dbus interface i.e. can it be invoked by the
console owner on-the-fly? It does not seem to - would that be
useful/do-able as a student project?

2011-02-24 08:11:40

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Hin-Tak Leung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Till Kamppeter
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
>>> participation in the Google Summer of Code 2011:
>>>
>>> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/google-summer-code-2011
>>>
>>> Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. If you have
>>> problems mail me with your project idea.
>>
>> For 802.11 you can dump your ideas here:
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2011/
>>
>>  Luis
>
> Seeing as a few of the mac80211-based wireless drivers (for some of
> the more dumb/basic/cheap devices) has gained access-point(AP)-mode
> support code in the kernel recently in the last few months, it would
> probably be appropriate to add (if it isn't already there) or enhance
> access-point-mode support in some of the user-land tools like
> NetworkManager, nm-applet, or wireless assistant?

The dbus / supplicant stuff was done in GSoC 2009, see:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009/Add_AP_Support_to_Network_Manager

Patches were sent to Jouni and IIRC the dbus stuff was the last stuff
being figured out. So IIRC this was just a matter of userspace
catchup. If we need that then sure, Dan?

Luis

2011-02-18 02:18:58

by Luis R. Rodriguez

<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
> participation in the Google Summer of Code 2011:
>
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/google-summer-code-2011
>
> Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. If you have
> problems mail me with your project idea.

For 802.11 you can dump your ideas here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2011/

Luis

2011-02-24 00:52:15

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Till Kamppeter
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
>> participation in the Google Summer of Code 2011:
>>
>> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/google-summer-code-2011
>>
>> Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. If you have
>> problems mail me with your project idea.
>
> For 802.11 you can dump your ideas here:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2011/
>
> ?Luis

Seeing as a few of the mac80211-based wireless drivers (for some of
the more dumb/basic/cheap devices) has gained access-point(AP)-mode
support code in the kernel recently in the last few months, it would
probably be appropriate to add (if it isn't already there) or enhance
access-point-mode support in some of the user-land tools like
NetworkManager, nm-applet, or wireless assistant? I think hostapd
doesn't care what type of drivers they are, except they need to claim
to support AP mode, so I think hostapd is okay... but of course there
are always the odd user-friendliness in various places that can do
with a bit of more work about "setting up a network service", e.g.
say, make it easier and more user-friendly to setting a bridge between
wireless client and wired connectivity. This involves configuring
hostapd, iptables for ip masquerading/network address translation, and
possibly a few other things.

Hin-Tak