2011-03-18 23:00:10

by Till Kamppeter

Subject: Google Summer of Code 2011 - The Linux Foundation is Accepted as Mentoring Organization

Hi,

the Linux Foundation is accepted as mentoring organization for this
year's Google Summer of Code. This means that you can again have
students working on your projects.

Students can apply from March 28 on, so please check your project ideas
lists on

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/google-summer-code-2011

and

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2011

and add any project ideas which you have for the Google Summer of Code
and which are not listed yet. You are also welcome to improve the
project descriptions which are already there and to volunteer as a
mentor. Please also answer any inquiry of potential students to assure
that you get as many applications as possible.

If you intend to mentor one or more students this year, please register
as mentor. To do so, do the following:

1. Make sure you have a Google account and you are able to log in.

2. Log in on http://socghop.appspot.com/ with your Google account.

3. If you have no user profile for the Google Summer of Code yet, create
one. If you have a user profile already from one of the previous GSoCs,
reuse this profile.

4. Under "Programs" -> "GSoC 2011" in the menu on the left you should
find an entry "Apply to become a Mentor" now. Click it. You will now
have to select the mentoring organization. It is the Linux Foundation
(Link ID: "linux_foundation", Short name: LF). After submitting your
mentor application I will get a notification so that I can approve it.
You should get a notification that I have approved you. After that you
have to fill your mentor profile. Only having done so you get a mentor
and can assign yourself as mentor for one or more students. To make it
easier for me to recognize your GSoC user name, send me an e-mail when
you apply to get a mentor.

I hope we will have a great Google Summer of Code 2011.

Till

2011-03-18 23:26:33

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Till Kamppeter
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the Linux Foundation is accepted as mentoring organization for this year's
> Google Summer of Code. This means that you can again have students working
> on your projects.
>
> Students can apply from March 28 on, so please check your project ideas
> lists on
>
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/google-summer-code-2011
>
> and
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2011
>
> and add any project ideas which you have for the Google Summer of Code and
> which are not listed yet. You are also welcome to improve the project
> descriptions which are already there and to volunteer as a mentor. Please
> also answer any inquiry of potential students to assure that you get as many
> applications as possible.
>
> If you intend to mentor one or more students this year, please register as
> mentor. To do so, do the following:
>
> 1. Make sure you have a Google account and you are able to log in.
>
> 2. Log in on http://socghop.appspot.com/ with your Google account.
>
> 3. If you have no user profile for the Google Summer of Code yet, create
> one. If you have a user profile already from one of the previous GSoCs,
> reuse this profile.
>
> 4. Under "Programs" -> "GSoC 2011" in the menu on the left you should find
> an entry "Apply to become a Mentor" now. Click it. You will now have to
> select the mentoring organization. It is the Linux Foundation (Link ID:
> "linux_foundation", Short name: LF). After submitting your mentor
> application I will get a notification so that I can approve it. You should
> get a notification that I have approved you. After that you have to fill
> your mentor profile. Only having done so you get a mentor and can assign
> yourself as mentor for one or more students. To make it easier for me to
> recognize your GSoC user name, send me an e-mail when you apply to get a
> mentor.
>
> I hope we will have a great Google Summer of Code 2011.

So one idea I was thinking about was that of using P2P to enable
phones to grant a central box tethering capabilities to their 3G
connection, while the central box acts as a regular AP. This can be
useful on trains to enable users to share their internet and aggregate
their connections together. So the project would consist of the
utilities and hooks to get these boxen easily deployed anywhere.

Since cell phones tend to beacon on the same channel, channel 6, the
central box would only be able to aggregate more than 3G connection by
having different phones establish a P2P connection on the same
channel. Not sure how many connections this limits us to then. It
would also be nice to get the AP to function as a regular AP on
something other than channel 6 so I guess we'd need the central box to
do P2P with multichannel operation. That support likely won't hit
upstream for a while.. so hrmm..

Just an idea, maybe next year.

Luis

2011-03-18 23:32:34

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Till Kamppeter
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On 03/19/2011 12:26 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> So one idea I was thinking about was that of using P2P to enable
>> phones to grant a central box tethering capabilities to their 3G
>> connection, while the central box acts as a regular AP. This can be
>> useful on trains to enable users to share their internet and aggregate
>> their connections together. So the project would consist of the
>> utilities and hooks to get these boxen easily deployed anywhere.
>>
>> Since cell phones tend to beacon on the same channel, channel 6, the
>> central box would only be able to aggregate more than 3G connection by
>> having different phones establish a P2P connection on the same
>> channel. Not sure how many connections this limits us to then. It
>> would also be nice to get the AP to function as a regular AP on
>> something other than channel 6 so I guess we'd need the central box to
>> do P2P with multichannel operation. That support likely won't hit
>> upstream for a while.. so hrmm..
>>
>> Just an idea, maybe next year.
>
> I would simply post it.

Hm, well the technical aspects of supporting such an implementation
would be required upstream first. If I get feedback we can at least do
some minimal 2-cell phone thether sharing setup then likely we can get
someone to work on it. Looking for feedback on this though first.

Luis

2011-03-18 23:30:01

by Till Kamppeter

On 03/19/2011 12:26 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> So one idea I was thinking about was that of using P2P to enable
> phones to grant a central box tethering capabilities to their 3G
> connection, while the central box acts as a regular AP. This can be
> useful on trains to enable users to share their internet and aggregate
> their connections together. So the project would consist of the
> utilities and hooks to get these boxen easily deployed anywhere.
>
> Since cell phones tend to beacon on the same channel, channel 6, the
> central box would only be able to aggregate more than 3G connection by
> having different phones establish a P2P connection on the same
> channel. Not sure how many connections this limits us to then. It
> would also be nice to get the AP to function as a regular AP on
> something other than channel 6 so I guess we'd need the central box to
> do P2P with multichannel operation. That support likely won't hit
> upstream for a while.. so hrmm..
>
> Just an idea, maybe next year.

I would simply post it.

Till