2011-03-24 16:11:32

by Larry Finger

Subject: More log spam from brcm80211

Roland,

My logs are getting spammed with lots of "Short CCK" messages that come from the
following code fragment:

if (IS_CCK(rspec)) {
if (rxh->PhyRxStatus_0 & PRXS0_SHORTH)
WL_ERROR("Short CCK\n");
rx_status->flag |= RX_FLAG_SHORTPRE;
} else if (IS_OFDM(rspec)) {
rx_status->flag |= RX_FLAG_SHORTPRE;
} else {
WL_ERROR("%s: Unknown modulation\n", __func__);
}

Logging this condition for debugging might be appropriate, but I do not think it
necessary for general use.

Larry

2011-03-24 16:34:29

by Roland Vossen

Subject: Re: More log spam from brcm80211

Hello Larry,

did you already try my preliminary patch (email that I sent you
yesterday) for the previous log spam problem ?

Regarding this new problem: I will get back to you shortly.

Bye, Roland.

On 03/24/2011 05:11 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
> Roland,
>
> My logs are getting spammed with lots of "Short CCK" messages that come from the
> following code fragment:
>
> if (IS_CCK(rspec)) {
> if (rxh->PhyRxStatus_0& PRXS0_SHORTH)
> WL_ERROR("Short CCK\n");
> rx_status->flag |= RX_FLAG_SHORTPRE;
> } else if (IS_OFDM(rspec)) {
> rx_status->flag |= RX_FLAG_SHORTPRE;
> } else {
> WL_ERROR("%s: Unknown modulation\n", __func__);
> }
>
> Logging this condition for debugging might be appropriate, but I do not think it
> necessary for general use.
>
> Larry

2011-03-24 16:49:51

by Larry Finger

On 03/24/2011 11:37 AM, Roland Vossen wrote:
> Hello Larry,
>
> did you already try my preliminary patch (email that I sent you yesterday) for
> the previous log spam problem ?
>
> Regarding this new problem: I will get back to you shortly.

Yes, I sent mail yesterday saying that the patch worked. I had to do it manually
as I'm using wireless-testing, not staging-next, and files have been renamed. I
did a full test. With the patch none of the spam appeared in the logs, When I
reverted it, the messages returned.

Larry

2011-03-25 09:51:03

by Roland Vossen

> Yes, I sent mail yesterday saying that the patch worked. I had to do it manually
> as I'm using wireless-testing, not staging-next, and files have been renamed. I
> did a full test. With the patch none of the spam appeared in the logs, When I
> reverted it, the messages returned.

Great. I just mailed a patch to the dev list (not the linux-wireless
list). Thanks for reporting and testing this.

Bye, Roland.

2011-03-24 16:38:01