2011-05-15 17:39:57

by Andreas Hartmann

Subject: rt2800pci: possible reason for: rt2800pci_txdone: Warning - Got TX status for an empty queue 0, dropping - compiler?

Hello,

today, I had to switch to openSuSE 11.3 because of end of life of
openSuSE 11.2.

I thought, that this would be a small thing, because I used the same
kernel in 11.2 as in 11.3 (both times 2.6.34.9-7-desktop): openSUsE had
for 11.2 the same kernel additionally. The only difference between them:
the kernel for openSuSE 11.2 was compiled with gcc 4.4.1 (gcc 4.4 branch
revision 150839) - the kernel for openSuSE 11.3 is compiled with gcc
4.5.0 (gcc 4.5 branch revision 160292).

With the gcc 4.4.1-compiled kernel, the "rt2800pci_txdone: Warning - Got
TX status for an empty queue 0, dropping" came up rarely (but it came
up, too), with the gcc 4.5.0 compiled kernel, this warning comes up
after a few seconds of sending data with netperf (throughput is > 10
MB's) and 45 times(!). The connection is dead after that storm!

If you do not have this problem - which gcc do you use or which options
do you use for compiling?

Kind regards,
Andreas