2011-06-10 18:42:36

by Daniel Halperin

Subject: Fwd: iwlagn: is tx_power_device_lmt a regulatory limit or a hardware limit?

PSA: it's 2011, not 1971. The plaintext filter on l-w is stupid. If
its main goal is to ensure that patches come through correctly, it
doesn't help that much. Independent of plaintext, people still have to
jump through hoops to make sure the line wrapping comes through okay.

See below mail.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daniel Halperin <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: iwlagn: is tx_power_device_lmt a regulatory limit or a
hardware limit?
To: Richard Sch?tz <[email protected]>
Cc: "Guy, Wey-Yi" <[email protected]>, Stevie Trujillo
<[email protected]>, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]>

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Richard Sch?tz <[email protected]> wrote:

> According to [1] there are no countries that forbid tx power values lower than 20dBm in the 2.4 GHz band. The lowest value for the 5 GHz band listed is 17 dBm. So why are the Intel cards limited to 15dBm then for both bands? This value absolutely makes no sense in my view.
>
> [1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-regdb.git;a=blob;f=db.txt;hb=HEAD

Are you forgetting to account for the 3 dBi--7 dBi antenna gain?
Dan

2011-06-10 19:19:27

by Richard Schütz

Am 10.06.2011 20:42, schrieb Daniel Halperin:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Richard Sch?tz<[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> According to [1] there are no countries that forbid tx power values lower than 20dBm in the 2.4 GHz band. The lowest value for the 5 GHz band listed is 17 dBm. So why are the Intel cards limited to 15dBm then for both bands? This value absolutely makes no sense in my view.
>>
>> [1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-regdb.git;a=blob;f=db.txt;hb=HEAD
>>

> Are you forgetting to account for the 3 dBi--7 dBi antenna gain?
> Dan

We are talking about wireless devices that are primarily used in
portable computers. These do not have directional antennas usually. So
there should be almost no antenna gain in most cases.

Richard Sch?tz