2011-07-29 21:19:04

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: RTL8192SE

On 07/29/2011 03:41 PM, Jongmyeong Kim wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> I have thinkpad T410 and it has rtl8192se as wifi card.
> Today, I downloaded newest rtl8192se linux driver from realtek website
> (92ce_se_de_linux_mac80211_0003.0620.2011.tar.gz) and installed it.
> It worked fantastically but when I tried to reboot the laptop, the laptop says
> 'unauthorized network card is plugged in' and refuses to boot.
>
> I think your driver changed PCI ID of the wireless card and I want to bring back
> to the original value. Fortunately, I have another T410 with same configuration
> so I can get some information from that laptop. I'm planning to restore eeprom
> of rtl8192se by using 'ethtool' but it requires magic number of rtl8192se.
> Can you provide the magic number?
>
> I'm looking at the driver's code, can you point out which file changes PCI ID
> of the wireless card? I'm a programmer so I can read and understand the C code
> and I hope there can be a clue in the source code to fix this problem.

Nothing in the rtl8192se driver changes the PCI ID. That information is hard
coded into the device. I do not know why the Thinkpad's BIOS did not flag the
card as illegal on the initial startup. My HP certainly does.

I think that "whitelisting" the wifi cards is a horrible practice. I have used
HP notebook computers for about 10 years, but the current one will be the last
due to their BIOS practices. I own 14 mini-PCIe wifi devices, and only 2 are
whitelisted. Similarly, I will never buy a Lenovo notebook. I use these
"foreign" PCIe cards on an ExpressCard extender card, but that came from Realtek
as part of my work with them. I do not know of a source for these cards.

Larry