2012-02-08 17:05:33

by lina

Subject: something about compact-wireless

Hi,

The question i am going to ask might sounds silly, please forgive,

do I need the compact-wireless in future? something about it's history?

thanks

2012-02-09 02:12:14

by Sid Hayn

Subject: Re: something about compact-wireless

On 02/08/12 21:09, lina wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 02/08/2012 11:05 AM, lina wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The question i am going to ask might sounds silly, please forgive,
>>>
>>> do I need the compact-wireless in future? something about it's history?
>>
>> Obviously, you do not understand the reason for compat-wireless. It is used
>> to backport the wireless drivers in the development kernels so that they can
>> be used on older kernels. Whether you need it depends on what kernel you are
>> using, and what device(s) you have. The short answer is "probably not".
> Thanks for explaination.
>
> last night I installed the $ uname -a
> Linux debian 3.2.5
>
> Do I still need install the compact-wireless?
if you don't know if you need compat-wireless then you don't need
compat-wireless.

Enjoy.

-Rick

> Thanks again,
>
>> Larry

by Larry Finger

On 02/08/2012 11:05 AM, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The question i am going to ask might sounds silly, please forgive,
>
> do I need the compact-wireless in future? something about it's history?

Obviously, you do not understand the reason for compat-wireless. It is used to
backport the wireless drivers in the development kernels so that they can be
used on older kernels. Whether you need it depends on what kernel you are using,
and what device(s) you have. The short answer is "probably not".

Larry

2012-02-09 15:43:18

by Pavel Roskin

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 11:06:28 +0800
lina <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Richard Farina <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > if you don't know if you need compat-wireless then you don't need
> > compat-wireless.
>
> But I have installed the compat-wireless.

Please stop this public self-humiliation.

> during kernel compilation it showed me:
>
> :/var/lib/dkms/blcr/0.8.2/build# more make.log
> DKMS make.log for blcr-0.8.2 for kernel 3.2.5mj-lina (x86_64)
> Thu Feb 9 00:35:52 SGT 2012
> make: Entering directory `/scratch/staff/linux-source-3.2.5'
> /var/lib/dkms/blcr/0.8.2/build/Kbuild:19: /var/lib/dkms/blcr/0.8.2/build/module

It's not even a part on the standard kernel. And it's not about
wireless networking. And there is no evidence that compat-wireless has
anything to do with it.

Please read this document:
http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Please pay special attention to the following parts:
http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise
http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal
http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#explicit

Pavel Roskin

2012-02-09 02:09:47

by lina

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 02/08/2012 11:05 AM, lina wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The question i am going to ask might sounds silly, please forgive,
>>
>> do I need the compact-wireless in future? something about it's history?
>

> Obviously, you do not understand the reason for compat-wireless. It is used
> to backport the wireless drivers in the development kernels so that they can
> be used on older kernels. Whether you need it depends on what kernel you are
> using, and what device(s) you have. The short answer is "probably not".

Thanks for explaination.

last night I installed the $ uname -a
Linux debian 3.2.5

Do I still need install the compact-wireless?

Thanks again,

> Larry

2012-02-09 03:06:29

by lina

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Richard Farina <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 02/08/12 21:09, lina wrote:

>>> Obviously, you do not understand the reason for compat-wireless. It is used
>>> to backport the wireless drivers in the development kernels so that they can
>>> be used on older kernels. Whether you need it depends on what kernel you are
>>> using, and what device(s) you have. The short answer is "probably not".
>> Thanks for explaination.
>>
>> last night I installed the $ uname -a
>> Linux debian 3.2.5
>>
>> Do I still need install the compact-wireless?
> if you don't know if you need compat-wireless then you don't need
> compat-wireless.

But I have installed the compat-wireless.

during kernel compilation it showed me:

:/var/lib/dkms/blcr/0.8.2/build# more make.log
DKMS make.log for blcr-0.8.2 for kernel 3.2.5mj-lina (x86_64)
Thu Feb 9 00:35:52 SGT 2012
make: Entering directory `/scratch/staff/linux-source-3.2.5'
/var/lib/dkms/blcr/0.8.2/build/Kbuild:19: /var/lib/dkms/blcr/0.8.2/build/module
_files: No such file or directory
configure: error: --with-linux argument '3.2.5mj-lina' is neither a kernel vers
ion string nor a full path
make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/blcr/0.8.2/build/config-stamp] Error 1
make: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/blcr/0.8.2/build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/scratch/staff/linux-source-3.2.5'

Thanks,