2012-02-28 21:34:09

by Hin-Tak Leung

Subject: Fw: Google summer of code application for organization opened; wireless projects.

oh, meant to cc' linux-wireless...

--- On Tue, 28/2/12, Hin-Tak Leung <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Till,
>
> GSoC application for organization just opened. I assume
> you'd put in an application for linux foundation per usual?
> I mean to go back to testing the hfsplus journalling code
> soon.
>
> Came across some android-specific issues concerning wifi
> support:
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/Android
>
> some of them probably would make a nice GSoC project. (using
> unmod'ed wpa_supplicant, gui for setting up ad-hoc mode,
> etc).
>
> Hin-Tak

2012-02-28 22:40:59

by Hin-Tak Leung

--- On Tue, 28/2/12, Till Kamppeter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, I will apply again for the Linux
> Foundation. I announced already
> and I have prepared pages for the GSoC 2012:
>
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/google-summer-code-2012
>
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/2012-gsoc-80211-linux-projects
>
> Please edit the second of these two pages adding project
> ideas or
> linking to your project ideas page for the GSoC 2012. To
> edit the page
> group membership in the GSOC group at the Linux Foundation
> is needed. To
> obtain the membership you need to log in and then click on
> the
> appropriate link under the "GSOC" on the right. I will
> approve you then
> and after that you can edit.

Thanks - added the urls below and some quick snipplets. Apparently I had group membership although I needed to reset my password as I have forgotten it :-).

> >> http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/Android

2012-02-28 21:49:47

by Till Kamppeter

Yes, I will apply again for the Linux Foundation. I announced already
and I have prepared pages for the GSoC 2012:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/google-summer-code-2012

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/2012-gsoc-80211-linux-projects

Please edit the second of these two pages adding project ideas or
linking to your project ideas page for the GSoC 2012. To edit the page
group membership in the GSOC group at the Linux Foundation is needed. To
obtain the membership you need to log in and then click on the
appropriate link under the "GSOC" on the right. I will approve you then
and after that you can edit.

Till

On 02/28/2012 10:28 PM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> oh, meant to cc' linux-wireless...
>
> --- On Tue, 28/2/12, Hin-Tak Leung<[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Till,
>>
>> GSoC application for organization just opened. I assume
>> you'd put in an application for linux foundation per usual?
>> I mean to go back to testing the hfsplus journalling code
>> soon.
>>
>> Came across some android-specific issues concerning wifi
>> support:
>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/Android
>>
>> some of them probably would make a nice GSoC project. (using
>> unmod'ed wpa_supplicant, gui for setting up ad-hoc mode,
>> etc).
>>
>> Hin-Tak

2012-03-01 14:52:41

by Hin-Tak Leung

--- On Thu, 1/3/12, Jouni Malinen <[email protected]> wrote:

> > --- On Tue, 28/2/12, Hin-Tak
> Leung <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > > Came across some android-specific issues
> concerning wifi
> > > support:
> > > http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/Android
> > >
> > > some of them probably would make a nice GSoC
> project. (using
> > > unmod'ed wpa_supplicant, gui for setting up ad-hoc
> mode,
> > > etc).
>
> While there are areas that can certainly be improved in
> Android WLAN
> support, please note that this page is quite old and not at
> all accurate
> with the latest Android release (ICS). WEXT has been mostly
> replaced
> with nl80211 and wpa_supplicant is much closer to the
> upstream version.

Argh, both places (the linuxwireless site, and the linux foundation GSoC page) are wiki's... please update with what you know.

The verdicts on the internet seems to be that Android has a slightly modified wpa_supplicant, and also that it is not at all easy to set up ad-hoc mode (even if the hardware/driver supports it). But in any case, make it easier to do Android-Android communication without an AP/intermediate in the middle still seems to be non-trivial, and that can be worked on... it would be a useful thing to do as well, given how many android devices are around these days.

2012-03-01 10:57:29

by Jouni Malinen

--
Jouni Malinen PGP id EFC895FA