2012-04-12 16:41:01

by Till Kamppeter

Subject: Google Summer of Code 2012 - 12 student slots for the Linux Foundation

Hi,

the first distribution of the available student slots to the mentoring
organizations has been done yesterday. The Linux Foundation got 12 slots.

I will need 3 or 4 for OpenPrinting (we got 4 applications, 2 of them on
the same project idea), I hope the rest will server for you to
accommodate all good students which applied for your workgroups.

Please sign up as mentor to get access to the applications. I have told
in an earlier mail on how to do so.

Please inform me in case of any problems.

Please join the IRC channel #gsoc on FreeNode if you have problems with
Melange,

Till

2012-04-12 22:44:28

by Greg KH

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 06:40:55PM +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the first distribution of the available student slots to the
> mentoring organizations has been done yesterday. The Linux
> Foundation got 12 slots.
>
> I will need 3 or 4 for OpenPrinting (we got 4 applications, 2 of
> them on the same project idea), I hope the rest will server for you
> to accommodate all good students which applied for your workgroups.
>
> Please sign up as mentor to get access to the applications. I have
> told in an earlier mail on how to do so.
>
> Please inform me in case of any problems.

How do we mark an application as "we should accept this one"?

I'd like to accept:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/dvdhrm/14002
(KMSCON: a DRM based terminal emulator)

and possibly, if the student gets it together a bit on the application:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/jcalvinowens/1
(NFS v4.1 and v4.2 features)

thanks,

greg k-h

2012-04-12 23:02:48

by Till Kamppeter

You have to do three things:

1. On the application's page on the left, the switch "Accept Proposal"
must get set to "Yes" (I have done it for you on KMSCON now, generally,
every mentor can set this switch).

2. The person supposed to mentor this student has to sign up as a mentor
if he has not done so. If he is already signed up or after getting my
approval for his mentor application he can access the page of the
student's application. He has to set the switch "Wish to Mentor" to
"Yes". Note that I cannot do this for him.

3. After that refresh the application's page and you find the mentor's
name in the "Assign mentor" menu. Please select it and click "ASSIGN".
Refresh the page again. This step can be done by any mentor as soon as
step (2) is completed.

Now everything is done to secure a slot for this student.

Greg, if the proposed mentor is not on the CC list of this mail, forward
this instructions to him.

Till

On 04/13/2012 12:44 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 06:40:55PM +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the first distribution of the available student slots to the
>> mentoring organizations has been done yesterday. The Linux
>> Foundation got 12 slots.
>>
>> I will need 3 or 4 for OpenPrinting (we got 4 applications, 2 of
>> them on the same project idea), I hope the rest will server for you
>> to accommodate all good students which applied for your workgroups.
>>
>> Please sign up as mentor to get access to the applications. I have
>> told in an earlier mail on how to do so.
>>
>> Please inform me in case of any problems.
>
> How do we mark an application as "we should accept this one"?
>
> I'd like to accept:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/dvdhrm/14002
> (KMSCON: a DRM based terminal emulator)
>
> and possibly, if the student gets it together a bit on the application:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/jcalvinowens/1
> (NFS v4.1 and v4.2 features)
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

2012-04-13 10:33:15

by Alan

> How do we mark an application as "we should accept this one"?
>
> I'd like to accept:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/dvdhrm/14002
> (KMSCON: a DRM based terminal emulator)

No point trying to discuss private URLs on a public list without context
is there ?

ALan

2012-04-13 14:25:26

by Greg KH

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:35:42AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > How do we mark an application as "we should accept this one"?
> >
> > I'd like to accept:
> > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/dvdhrm/14002
> > (KMSCON: a DRM based terminal emulator)
>
> No point trying to discuss private URLs on a public list without context
> is there ?

My appologies, I didn't realize this was originally sent to a public
list, and also that these proposals aren't able to be reached by anyone.

As this is something I'd like to you at least ACK as a good idea to do,
I'll ask the student to bounce it to you.

thanks,

greg k-h