2012-04-13 10:16:17

by Dan Carpenter

Subject: re: NFC: HCI support

Hello Eric Lapuyade,

This is a semi-automatic email about new static checker warnings.

The patch 8b8d2e08bf0d: "NFC: HCI support" from Apr 10, 2012, leads
to the following Smatch complaint:

net/nfc/hci/core.c:815 nfc_hci_recv_frame()
error: we previously assumed 'hcp_skb' could be null (see line 790)

net/nfc/hci/core.c
789 msg_len, GFP_KERNEL);
790 if (hcp_skb == NULL) {
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
New check.

791 /* TODO ELa: cannot deliver HCP message. How to
792 * propagate error up?
793 */

If we can't allocate memory here, shouldn't we just drop the packet and
return? The other layers can handle dropped packets.

794 }
795
796 *skb_put(hcp_skb, NFC_HCI_HCP_PACKET_HEADER_LEN) = pipe;
797
798 skb_queue_walk(&hdev->rx_hcp_frags, frag_skb) {
799 msg_len = frag_skb->len - NFC_HCI_HCP_PACKET_HEADER_LEN;
800 memcpy(skb_put(hcp_skb, msg_len),
801 frag_skb->data + NFC_HCI_HCP_PACKET_HEADER_LEN,
802 msg_len);
803 }
804
805 skb_queue_purge(&hdev->rx_hcp_frags);
806 } else {
807 packet->header &= NFC_HCI_FRAGMENT;
808 hcp_skb = skb;
809 }
810
811 /* if this is a response, dispatch immediately to
812 * unblock waiting cmd context. Otherwise, enqueue to dispatch
813 * in separate context where handler can also execute command.
814 */
815 packet = (struct hcp_packet *)hcp_skb->data;
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
New dereference.

816 type = HCP_MSG_GET_TYPE(packet->message.header);
817 if (type == NFC_HCI_HCP_RESPONSE) {

regards,
dan carpenter

2012-04-16 14:14:22

by Eric Lapuyade

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the report. Please see below my explanations.

Regards,

Eric

On 13/04/2012 12:16, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> Hello Eric Lapuyade,
>
> This is a semi-automatic email about new static checker warnings.
>
> The patch 8b8d2e08bf0d: "NFC: HCI support" from Apr 10, 2012, leads
> to the following Smatch complaint:
>
> net/nfc/hci/core.c:815 nfc_hci_recv_frame()
> error: we previously assumed 'hcp_skb' could be null (see line 790)
>
> net/nfc/hci/core.c
> 789 msg_len, GFP_KERNEL);
> 790 if (hcp_skb == NULL) {
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> New check.
>
> 791 /* TODO ELa: cannot deliver HCP message. How to
> 792 * propagate error up?
> 793 */
>
> If we can't allocate memory here, shouldn't we just drop the packet and
> return? The other layers can handle dropped packets.

Actually, the higher level to which this frame is destined cannot handle lost packets. In the current case, the frame can contain a response to an outgoing command, or an event or a command from the chipset.
In case of the response, the upper layer would complete command execution with a timeout error. So basically it would work except the command would complete with an incorrect error indication which could be a problem if you try to understand why the chip didn't answer your command.
In case of an event, that could be a tag_discovered event for example. Events MUST be delivered, otherwise it would appear to the user like if the tag wasn't detected at all, with no indication that something failed.
In case of an incoming command, it would be no problem, the remote would timeout on our response.

I will soon commit a new patch to purge the fragment list and return. This will remove the checker errors. I'll leave the TODO until we have designed a way for upper layer to be notified.