2012-07-12 04:13:20

by Ouyang

Subject: Re: problem with installing the kernel

Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@...> writes:

> On 07/11/2012 09:52 PM, Ouyang wrote:
> > I add something to the wireless-testing and then run:
> >> make modules
> >> make bzImage
> >
> > it seems all fine. but could not go any further
> > # make modules_install
> > rm:invalid option -- '3'
> > Try 'rm -- help' for more information
> > make : *** [_modinst_] Error 1
> >
> > Could anyone please help me with the situation?
> > The version of the linux is 3.4.4-3.fc17.x86_64 #1
>
> Are you building the kernel as root? That is a terrible policy!!!
>
> You should run "make" as a regular user, and follow that with "sudo make
> modules_install install". If that fails, you need to ask about the problem at
> Fedora. The standard kernel does the modules installation without any
problems.

> Larry

Thank you so much for the reply. Sorry that I run "make" as a root. I am new
with linux and I am sure I won`t make the same mistake in the future. By the way
, why it tells me about try "rm -- help"? I really do not know what does it
mean. In what situation will this "rm -- help " come out?

Thanks

Ouyang

2012-07-12 14:47:49

by Larry Finger

On 07/11/2012 11:13 PM, Ouyang wrote:

> Thank you so much for the reply. Sorry that I run "make" as a root. I am new
> with linux and I am sure I won`t make the same mistake in the future. By the way
> , why it tells me about try "rm -- help"? I really do not know what does it
> mean. In what situation will this "rm -- help " come out?

In some script that is called from "make modules_install", your system is
calling the utility rm with option 3. That is not a standard script. It could be
that something is messed up with your source tree. If you reload the source that
you got from Fedora, and rebuild as a regular user, it might fix the problem. If
not, you need to ask on a Fedora forum. The wireless and mainline kernels do not
have this problem.

Larry