2009-02-26 21:42:45

by Christoph .J Thompson

Subject: D-Link GWL-122 and AP/WPA2

After trying to get a Sitecom WL-608 wireless USB adapter to work in AP mode to no avail I gave up and ordered a Belkin F5D7050 wireless USB adapter thinking it used a Prism based chipset which would enable me to use it in AP mode. Almost two weeks later I finally got it this morning (kudos to UPS for the "fast" delivery). To my dismay some clown at Belkin thought it was funny to use a new chipset with each revision of their F5D7050. I got a revision "e" which has a Realtek rtl8187 chipset which won't be of any use for what I want to do. So I'm back at my starting point with my pockets ~50 euros lighter. I'm going to have to buy another USB wifi adapter and I'm considering the D-Link GWL-122. It seems that the D-Link GWL-122 uses the Prism chipset. Has anyone here any experience with this device? Will it work in AP mode with WPA2?

--
Christoph .J Thompson <[email protected]>

2009-02-26 22:53:35

by Pat Erley

Subject: Re: D-Link GWL-122 and AP/WPA2

[email protected] wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:31:55 +0100, "Christoph .J Thompson"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> After trying to get a Sitecom WL-608 wireless USB adapter to work in AP
>> mode to no avail I gave up and ordered a Belkin F5D7050 wireless USB
>> adapter thinking it used a Prism based chipset which would enable me to
> use
>> it in AP mode. Almost two weeks later I finally got it this morning
> (kudos
>> to UPS for the "fast" delivery). To my dismay some clown at Belkin
> thought
>> it was funny to use a new chipset with each revision of their F5D7050. I
>> got a revision "e" which has a Realtek rtl8187 chipset which won't be of
>> any use for what I want to do. So I'm back at my starting point with my
>> pockets ~50 euros lighter. I'm going to have to buy another USB wifi
>> adapter and I'm considering the D-Link GWL-122. It seems that the D-Link
>> GWL-122 uses the Prism chipset. Has anyone here any experience with this
>> device? Will it work in AP mode with WPA2?
>
> Have you considered other chipsets? If you HAVE to go with USB, you might
> try:

--SNIPPED--

> which is rt2500usb based. I'll test a rt2500usb device tonight for AP mode
> for
> ya. You'll be able to see my results at: http://wireless.erley.org/

Well, same result as last time I checked. It lets me put it into AP mode, and
when I scan I can pick it up, but I could not associate with it, but beyond
that, I haven't done any debugging. If any rt2500usb devs could suggest the
next steps in debugging this, let me know.

As for making an AP, I recommend something ath9k based, as it works quite well.
It's only pci/pci-e, as far as I know though.

Pat

2009-02-28 00:16:57

by Christoph .J Thompson

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:34:48 +0000
Hin-Tak Leung <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sorry to hear about your misfortune... can I ask if the F5D7050 works
> well with the in-kernel rtl8187 driver in STA mode?

Well I can't be sure, because I don't have a known working AP here. That's what I'm trying to build. I have a PCMCIA rt2x00 (RT2561/RT61) based wireless card on a laptop running 2.6.29-rc6. It should work as an AP (at least that's what 'iw dev wlan0 info' advertises). I installed hostapd 0.6.8, configured it to not hide the SSID. If I do 'iwlist scan' on the router with the Belkin USB wifi dongle with the Realtek chip on it, I can see the wireless networks of some neighbors, but not the AP I just configured on the laptop. The router also runs 2.6.29-rc6. So it's like a chicken and egg problem.

--
Christoph .J Thompson <[email protected]>

2009-02-27 15:34:51

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Christoph .J Thompson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> After trying to get a Sitecom WL-608 wireless USB adapter to work in =
AP mode to no avail I gave up and ordered a Belkin F5D7050 wireless USB=
adapter thinking it used a Prism based chipset which would enable me t=
o use it in AP mode. Almost two weeks later I finally got it this morni=
ng (kudos to UPS for the "fast" delivery). To my dismay some clown at B=
elkin thought it was funny to use a new chipset with each revision of t=
heir F5D7050. I got a revision "e" which has a Realtek rtl8187 chipset =
which won't be of any use for what I want to do. So I'm back at my star=
ting point with my pockets ~50 euros lighter. I'm going to have to buy =
another USB wifi adapter and I'm considering the D-Link GWL-122. It see=
ms that the D-Link GWL-122 uses the Prism chipset. Has anyone here any =
experience with this device? Will it work in AP mode with WPA2?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune... can I ask if the F5D7050 works
well with the in-kernel rtl8187 driver in STA mode?

Indeed Sitecom seems to use chips from every manufacturer...

> --
> Christoph .J Thompson <[email protected]>
ess" in
> More majordomo info at =A0http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

2009-02-26 21:54:52

by Pat Erley

http://www.oxfordtec.com/uk/USB-Wireless-Adapters-802.11b/g---54Mbps/c51_58/p140/SparkLAN-WL-685R-WLAN-802.11g-54Mbps-Wireless-USB-Dongle-%28Ralink-RT2571WF%29---also-LINUX-and-Apple-MAC-OSX-compatible/product_info.html

which is rt2500usb based. I'll test a rt2500usb device tonight for AP mode
for
ya. You'll be able to see my results at: http://wireless.erley.org/

Pat Erley