2012-10-28 22:39:57

by Cliff McDiarmid

Subject: RTL8188SU

Hi

As you know this chip uses the 8712u driver. Is there any progress on this
driver being able to handle monitor mode for use with aircrack? At present I
think I am using the latest staging version.

many thanks

Cliff

2012-10-29 21:51:29

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: RTL8188SU

On 10/29/2012 04:11 PM, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
> Christian Lamparter <chunkeey@...> writes:
>

>>> but could I revert?
>> Well, this is getting confusing ;)
>> Can you explain what you want reverted?
>>
>> Regards,
>
> Sorry probably bad english. I was wondering if I revert to using the 'old'
> driver, 8192u, with the rtl8188su and you seem to suggest yes? However, I have
> the 8192u module built in the kernel at present and it will not load when the
> rtl8188su is plugged in.

The "old" driver for the RTL8188SU is r8712u, not 8192u. The USB_DEVICE table
for 8192u is:

{USB_DEVICE(0x0bda, 0x8709)},
{USB_DEVICE(0x07aa, 0x0043)},
{USB_DEVICE(0x050d, 0x805E)},
{USB_DEVICE(0x0df6, 0x0031)},
{USB_DEVICE(0x1740, 0x9201)},
{USB_DEVICE(0x2001, 0x3301)},
{USB_DEVICE(0x5a57, 0x0290)},
{USB_DEVICE(0x043e, 0x7a01)},

I have an extensive collection of Realtek devices; however, I have never seen
any of these.

Larry

2012-10-29 11:57:16

by Christian Lamparter

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:34:04 PM Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
> As you know this chip uses the 8712u driver. Is there any progress on this
> driver being able to handle monitor mode for use with aircrack? At present I
> think I am using the latest staging version.

Not with 8712u... This driver has no real support for monitor mode
just station and a bit of adhoc.

I put Josh' rtl8192su patches into a git repository
<https://github.com/chunkeey/rtl8192su> and started
adding things. This driver already does support monitor
mode and can connect to an legacy accesspoint. However
as you can see the TODO list that comes with the driver
is quite long and a lot of important stuff is on it too.

Regards,
Chr

2012-10-29 23:00:09

by Cliff McDiarmid

Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@...> writes:

> The "old" driver for the RTL8188SU is r8712u, not 8192u. The USB_DEVICE table
> for 8192u is:
>
> {USB_DEVICE(0x0bda, 0x8709)},
> {USB_DEVICE(0x07aa, 0x0043)},
> {USB_DEVICE(0x050d, 0x805E)},
> {USB_DEVICE(0x0df6, 0x0031)},
> {USB_DEVICE(0x1740, 0x9201)},
> {USB_DEVICE(0x2001, 0x3301)},
> {USB_DEVICE(0x5a57, 0x0290)},
> {USB_DEVICE(0x043e, 0x7a01)},
>
> I have an extensive collection of Realtek devices; however, I have never seen
> any of these.
>
> Larry

Thanks Larry I'm confusing the issue here, by not getting the no's right. I was
asking about the rtl8192su driver which I understand works in monitor mode. I
assume this driver has been 'cleaned up' and become the r8712u. I was wondering
if I could use an earlier version of the rtl8192su driver with the RTL8188SU and
in doing so have the monitor mode.

regards

Cliff

2012-10-30 02:58:07

by Larry Finger

On 10/29/2012 05:59 PM, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:

> Thanks Larry I'm confusing the issue here, by not getting the no's right. I was
> asking about the rtl8192su driver which I understand works in monitor mode. I
> assume this driver has been 'cleaned up' and become the r8712u. I was wondering
> if I could use an earlier version of the rtl8192su driver with the RTL8188SU and
> in doing so have the monitor mode.

To my knowledge, none of the Realtek, non-mac80211 drivers work in monitor mode;
however, if you think they do, then you can get such drivers from realtek.com.
Please be aware that there is a definite possibility that such drivers will not
build on recent kernels. In addition, they are unlikely to work on 64-bit
kernels. I keep sending patches to them, but such changes seem to not be
implemented.

Larry

2012-10-30 19:24:35

by Cliff McDiarmid

Many thanks for all advice

regards

Cliff McDiarmid

2012-10-29 20:18:01

by Christian Lamparter

On Monday, October 29, 2012 08:44:44 PM Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
> Christian Lamparter <chunkeey@...> writes:
>
> > I put Josh' rtl8192su patches into a git repository
> > <https://github.com/chunkeey/rtl8192su> and started
> > adding things. This driver already does support monitor
> > mode and can connect to an legacy accesspoint. However
> > as you can see the TODO list that comes with the driver
> > is quite long and a lot of important stuff is on it too.
> >

> Is it possible to use that driver with the rtl8188su?
The chip? Yes, it belongs to the same family as far as I can tell.
[In fact I have a device with a 8188SU chip too]

> I know the 8192su was replaced with the 8712u
This is probably something Larry has to answer. r8712u seems to
be a "cleaned-up" version of r8192s_usb (which is/was the
vendor driver?).

rtl8192su will make use of the rtlwifi framework [which is already
used by the drivers for rtl8192cu/ce/se/de...]. So it won't have
much in common with r8712u.

> but could I revert?
Well, this is getting confusing ;)
Can you explain what you want reverted?

Regards,
Chr

2012-10-29 19:45:05

by Cliff McDiarmid

Christian Lamparter <chunkeey@...> writes:

> I put Josh' rtl8192su patches into a git repository
> <https://github.com/chunkeey/rtl8192su> and started
> adding things. This driver already does support monitor
> mode and can connect to an legacy accesspoint. However
> as you can see the TODO list that comes with the driver
> is quite long and a lot of important stuff is on it too.
>
> Regards,

Thanks Christian

Is it possible to use that driver with the rtl8188su? I know the 8192su was
replaced with the 8712u, but could I revert?

regards

Cliff

2012-10-29 21:11:57

by Cliff McDiarmid